possible OK food for hedgie/cat (they can share lol)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torsornin

I am getting a rescue kitten next week - and am totally psyched

doing my research and what not - I thought I would start switching 'Tater's food to a healthier food for her (currently on spikes delight - which the name I love - but after looking closely at her poop the other day - I realize she isn't really digesting all the filler stuff...)

I do prefer organic for my pets when possible... What do you think of this food.
Castor & Pollux Organix Feline Adult & Kitten Formula Dry Food
http://www.petco.com/Shop/AlternateImages.aspx?FamilyID=13901&sku=

* The first pet food to be certified organic that is made with certified organic chicken as the #1 ingredient
* Exceedingly palatable and highly digestible, Organix has won over the most finicky cats
* No by-products, fillers, corn, wheat, or beet pulp
* Made with free range, human grade organic chicken meat

Here is the ingrediant list
Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Organic Peas, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Barley, Potato Protein, Organic Chicken Fat Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (a natural source of Vitamin E), Salmon Meal, Organic Flaxseed, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Calcium Sulfate, Salt, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis, Fermentation Solubles, Rosemary Extract.

Crude Protein (min) 31.00%, Crude Fat (min) 16.00%, Crude Fiber (max) 3.00%, Moisture (max) 10.00%, Ash (max) 7.00%, Calcium (min) 1.00%, Phosphorus (min) 0.90%, Magnesium (max) 0.1%, Taurine (min) 0.125%, Omega 6 Fatty Acids (min)+ 3.10%, Omega 3 Fatty Acids (min)+ 0.80%. +Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO cat Food Nutrient Profiles.

Is ash a problem with hedgies the way it is with kitties???

You may have some issues with trying to feed them the same food. Kittens typically are fed a food with a fat content that will quickly cause your hedgehog to become obese.

With that said, it also depends on your hedgehog too. I have a hedgehog that I must add a high fat content food to her food. If I don't she rapidly loses weight. She is an extremely active hedgehog and burns the calories.

Back