Possible drool after teeth filing....?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

Eeyore just got his teeth filed yesterday morning, this is about the third time he's got it done and has done very well each time. He's taking his critical care really well today, as he did yesterday too. Is it a bad sign if he is drooling a little, or can that just be because he's a little sore from the filing?

I looked up other posts about drool and seems it is a sign of pain. I figured he would be in a little bit because of the filing. And also saw that others that got this done got pain medicine for their chins. He got some at the vet but I didnt take any home, nor did I the other times he had this done. Would it be better to request this from now on? I didnt notice him drooling the other times, only this time. I wish I could do something for the pain. He's still taking the cc good. Is the drooling probably just a sign of pain from the filing or is that not usually normal?
Thanks

My guy always drooled a bit a day or so after a filing. I always brought home a weeks worth of metacam but usually 3 days was enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guy always drooled a bit a day or so after a filing. I always brought home a weeks worth of metacam but usually 3 days was enough.

Thank you for the reply. It makes me feel a little better. I will keep an eye on him and ask for home meds from now on. Thanks.

I would ask your vet for pain meds since this is going to be an ongoing thing. Its always better to have them and not need it than need the meds and not have them.

I would ask your vet for pain meds since this is going to be an ongoing thing. Its always better to have them and not need it than need the meds and not have them.

I definitely plan on getting pain meds brought home from now on after each procedure. He got some at the vet and always has but I will ask for more to be brought home the next time. He seems to be doing better today but if he is still drooling tomorrow I will probably call tomorrow.

Do all animals use the same metacam? I looked it up quick and only saw talk about cats/dogs. I'm sure my vet would know but just wanted to check before I call tomorrow.

Metacam can be oral or injectable. It depends on what you/your vet feels most comfortable with. It does come in 2 different mg/ml sizes (one for large dogs and one for smaller pets)

Metacam can be oral or injectable. It depends on what you/your vet feels most comfortable with. It does come in 2 different mg/ml sizes (one for large dogs and one for smaller pets)

Ok thank you. I will see what my vet says tomorrow.

Going to pick up some buprenex today, thought it might of been metacam since that seems really popular, but luckily he'll be getting some help with his pain. He doesn't seem to be drooling as much, but still is a little. So hopefully this will help him out a bit.

Just be careful with the buprenex. It is a stronger pain reliever and can make them feel nauseous and lethargic, causing them no not eat.

Just be careful with the buprenex. It is a stronger pain reliever and can make them feel nauseous and lethargic, causing them no not eat.

Okay. It is a very small dose 0.10 milliliter twice a day. After I got home from picking it up, I checked around his mouth and looked like he wasnt drooling much, if any. I gave him one dose. Tomorrow if I see no drool, should I just not give it to him?
Next time should I request metacam?

Bup can only be given a few days at a time due to how strong it is. Metacam is much more gentle on the stomach and has less side effects. Also extra metacam can be stored and used later. I prefer metacam over bup

Bup can only be given a few days at a time due to how strong it is. Metacam is much more gentle on the stomach and has less side effects. Also extra metacam can be stored and used later. I prefer metacam over bup

Yeah, It's only a 5 day amount. If I don't see any drool tomorrow, should I just not give him anymore since it's so strong?
Next time I will request metacam.

Seems Eeyore can't catch a break. He stopped drooling a bit, and i'm not sure I got enough meds in him before, last night I knew I got enough in, and today he just seems so out of it, brought him to the vet and it seems his nose is pretty stuffed up and she could see just how out of it he is. Most likely going back to get something for him being stuffed up.

But I have never seen him practically not moving, he's literally completely out of it and dead weight when I pick him up. The vet was thinking it was from the buprenex and I hope so, but he's just so out of it and I gave it to him last night, it's been over 12 hrs and he's hardly moving, I can hear his nose is stuffed up, and his eyes are open and he seems alert, but not wanting to move. This morning when I first looked at him, he stumbled a little but it seems to have gotten worse, which can't be from the meds.
I'm just not sure what is going on, hopefully when the vet calls, I can talk to her about how out of it he is, which is extremely out of it, he's just laying infront of me right now.

To be honest, you need to be at the vet now as a emergency, don't wait for the vet to call, tell them you are on your way now with a chin who is going down hill fast, this can and will go very wrong in a short amount of time.

To be honest, you need to be at the vet now as a emergency, don't wait for the vet to call, tell them you are on your way now with a chin who is going down hill fast, this can and will go very wrong in a short amount of time.

I called them back and we are going back in.

She rushed him to the back......just waiting on information. Praying he will cone out of this.

Buprenex is a pain med only to be used in extreme cases, such as the chin may die anyway, since the side effects are often fatal in themselves-GI stasis and respiratory failure have happened using this drug in chins, in the future tramadol used with metecam is a better choice in chins with moderate to severe pain.

I wish I knew that beforehand, or asked which one I should of requested. He didn't get much of the buprenex, but maybe enough to do something.
She did say he was a little cold, not sure if she definitely said pneumonia or if that was possible. They were getting him warm and giving him oxygen and i'm going back at 4:30 to either bring him home if he improves, or possibly the worse and he passes away.
She said he will either get better fast, or it will get worse fast. Which I've heard on here, they go pretty quick when something happens.
So hopefully he'll be a little better when I go, and he comes home and I continue doing what she recommends, which she said she'd tell me when I go back, what I should do over night. So i'm really hoping he gets better....

Latest posts

Back