possible chin nightmares :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffybut

So my only and my first chinchilla has been owned by me since November 9th. Since I've had him I put his cage right next to my bed and he has a mat on the top shelf of his cage and he untied it and uses it as a blanket ( i believe he learned that from me ) and i will be sleeping and i hear something so i wake up and my chin is what i believe some call "barking" so i get out of bed and make sure he is ok. but the crazy thing is he is asleep! so i pet him and tell him its ok buddy your safe. i don't really understand because i close my door always so nothing can get in and my windows are closed so he cant hear anything. it breaks my heart when he makes that noise! is there anyway to fix this? if the is i would love to hear it! thank you for reading :)

-Fluffybut :)

All three of my boys will bark in their sleep due to a dream. They know they are safe and love their homes but they have dreams. I really wouldn't worry about it because it's kind of like a cat hunting in it's sleep. Although I do admit it can sound sad I'm not sure they are because my boys have gotten mad at me for waking them up from a dream on occasion.

All three of my boys will bark in their sleep due to a dream. They know they are safe and love their homes but they have dreams. I really wouldn't worry about it because it's kind of like a cat hunting in it's sleep. Although I do admit it can sound sad I'm not sure they are because my boys have gotten mad at me for waking them up from a dream on occasion.

Mine do the same thing. When i started hearing it the first times, i would run out worried as well, but they would be asleep. Some times i would make sure they were ok, which usually woke them up. And they just give me this evil eye like "why the heck did you wake me up!?!?!"

Mine do the same thing. It may be something in their dream or they may actually hear something. Chins have absolutely amazing hearing (check out their big radar-dish ears!), so even though it might seem quiet to you, I guarantee he's picking up one sounds your ears can't register. That being said, chins are pretty great at tuning out background noise. Since your guy was all 'why are you waking me up?' It's likely just a dream and they're sending out a honk to warn their 'dream' herd of other chinnies ;)

Sometimes if my guys are spooked, I find a blanket to cover most of their cage with and that seems to make them feel more secure. Although, sometimes it makes no different at all >< lol

Chinchillas are really smart and have an acute sense of hearing. Like the others said, he may be hearing something you can't and is getting a little nervous by it. It's normal though, my chin barks or chatters sometimes at night as well. I just ignore it though, unless he squeaks as if he is in pain I won't go check on him. Don't want him to train me ;)

Latest posts

Back