Possible breedback?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyandmychins

Hi everbody! Last Sunday Oct 31st my chin had her babies. I kept the male in their up until she had the babies. I took him out while she was eating the afterbirth. Is their any possibilty of breedback? I have also heard that the female can get pregnant a day or more before she delivers, is this true! Thank you everyone!

Yes, it's possible for the female to be reimpregnated up to several days before she litters. HOWEVER, this does not mean she did breedback, so please don't think it's too late and put the male back in with her.

I have had breedbacks when I took him out while birth was in process and after they were born. Don't think any have been the day before birth, but who knows.

I have seen one of my males mating with a female 3 days before she littered. It did not result in a breedback litter, but she was receptive at the time.

A breedback in this instance is a possibility, though I would agree with Kathy that you probably got the male out in time. Most breedbacks in all my experiences occured within the first 24 hours of birth. I generally leave a male with the female for 3 days after birth and there has been a few exceptions to the 24 hour window for breedbacks from birth. It is a possibility of breedback in your situation, but probability would indicate not a breedback if you pulled the male out immediately after baby was born. You'll know for sure in a few months. Lol!

Latest posts

Back