Possible Amputation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tagna

Chin lover
The rescue took in a young chin today who has a terrible leg injury. What is the youngest age a chin has had a successful amputation? His leg, the front one, just drags behind him. It has been left this way for an unknown length of time.

I have a vet appointment first thing. I will try to get some pics up.

This is one side of his paw:

IMG_20140531_004654_zps286afdf9.jpg

The other side:

IMG_20140531_071744_zpsa48cd3ca.jpg

Basically the former owner had him, the brother and the parents in a wire cage. She doesn't know how it happened or when. He is 6 weeks and VERY small for his age, 83 grams. She wouldn't surrender the others which I tried to get. So I am hand feeding him and will be off to the vets very soon.

I was shocked when the volunteer arrived with his. He looks like a newborn. I don't know if he has any other issues but he is climbing and running around like a normal chin, minus the dragging of the leg behind him. Babies are crazy and are way more work than grumpy adult rescues with issues!

IMG_20140530_233305_zps556816ae.jpg

He was going to be sold to someone before this happened. Even without the leg injury I don't know if he would have made it.

Hand feeding babies is not as easy as malo chin with critical care! He is pooping and chewing hay and tolerates the goats milk mix.

I am realistic but will give the guy a chance.

So I just got back from the vets. He was such a good little boy. My vet started to clean up his leg and found what is the problem. He had a hair ring on his leg! The fur was round around so tight and had cut off the circulation. It doesn't appear that it is broken but there has been a lot of damage.

So because of his size we are going to try and get the circulation back into the leg. AND get some weight on him.

If it doesn't work, then he will have it amputated. He is a spunky little guy!

Wow thats insane that hair can do that to them, I'm so glad to see its getting slowly better hoping for the best! :)

I had a leg amputated on a little one right at weaning I believe. I don't have a clue how, but she got her leg stuck in a 1/2 x 1 opening wire cage. We had to cut the cage from around her. She did fine with the amputation.

I think amputation is where we are headed. I just don't see any improvement in the leg. It's not getting worse but it's just a cold limb that he drags.

He is gaining weight at least. Will see how the week plays out.

Dante lost his front paw at birth, mom ripped it off. He lived until 17 and only had some problems due to it when he got older.

Yeah, if the limb is still cold, I'd say amputation is the best route. We always look for color and warmth to return ASAP when dealing with constricted limbs. I'm sure he will do fine, best of luck!

Well beyond shocking but his leg is warming up! He is still under 100 grams so at least he can gain a bit more weight before his next appointment and we decide if the leg is okay to leave. He has been lifting it more but he can't do too much with it.

He is taking more goats milk and eating the dry formula. He is crazy though and doing all the normal baby things. Climbing the cage, running all over and just busy!

I still can't believe how small he is for being almost 7 weeks. A whole 91 grams now.

Update: The vet checked out his leg and said it has to come off. So the main issue right now is his size. He is 100 grams now and the vet would like him to gain a bit more before going in. So the plan is 2-4 weeks but if his leg changes for the worse, he has to go in asap.

He is just so little that I hope he will make it.

I assume it would be best to take the whole leg off? Of would that be harder on his for his underweight issues right now?

Amputation at the shoulder is the best bet, leaving no stump that can hit the ground.
Anything left which can have pressure put on it is a risk so the higher the vets can go the better - circulation will play a part in that decision because you need a good blood supply for the stump to heal.
Also, it's often quicker to remove the whole thing than to 'fiddle' with a lower amputation which may mean he's under anaesthetic for longer.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks Claire!

Jasper had his leg amputated today and is doing well. He is eating and pooping! Hopefully he will recover quickly and be back to his goofy self soon!

Well Jasper has bounced back from the surgery. He is now 150 grams and 9 weeks. Still a tiny guy but doing very well. He has a recheck on Saturday.

He is on twitter if you want to check him out: @jasperthechin By far one of the cutest chins I've had to hand feed and has got me totally attached to him!

Back