Portable or "freestanding" AC units?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Aneesa's Muse

I have an old window unit that I'd like to replace ..and I'm looking at THIS ONE for that purpose.

Does anyone else use a portable unit in their Chin designated room?

Which one do you use ..and any other useful info??

Thanks!

I purchased an Edgestar 12000 BTU from Compact Appliance. I love it! It's an A/C, heater and de-humidifier all in one and it has a thermostat so you can control the room temperature. My only complaint would be it's kind of loud, but it works well!

While I don't have any personal experience, I've heard that the stand-alone air conditioners don't work all that well, considering how much you pay for them. I really have nothing to back up that statement, but I remember my last boyfriend was looking for one (he wasn't allowed to install a window unit) and this was what everyone told us. Hopefully some people will be able to tell you from actual experience though...

the free standing a/c units are very expensive and as we all know, no a/c lasts very long in a chin-room. personally, i would buy two window units so i have a spare on on hand for when the one in operation fails. i lost a chin this summer to the need to get a unit when mine failed and i hope to never go through that again.

This sounds like the unit Chantel just put in her chin room - might ask her!

We use a Danby 3-in-1 portable unit and have never had a problem. It cools down the room really well and the exhaust pipes fit into the sliding glass doors perfectly.

Of course though, Vancouver has a pretty mild climate in all seasons so the need for the unit to really cool the place all the time is not as big.

I have a portable AC, not in the chins room though. I would not put it in there, it does not cool that well. Also you have to have somewhere to drain the water, or it cuts itself off whenever the water tank fill up.

I purchased an Edgestar 12000 BTU from Compact Appliance. I love it! It's an A/C, heater and de-humidifier all in one and it has a thermostat so you can control the room temperature. My only complaint would be it's kind of loud, but it works well!

This is what we have in our chin room (garage). It works great, and we have another one in storage for the summer when it will need to be cooler, and we were not sure if this one would cut it. It is kind of loud, but so far, no complaints at all, and we are in HOT Fl!

Thank you all for the great reviews and input.. I really appreciate it! :)

I'm in the Bay Area and it's usually pretty mild here, but last year, we had some 85F days inside (my dwelling is wood and stucco ..hard to heat, harder to cool) ...so I want to be prepared for it right now, rather than be scrambling around in June or July ..and Phoenix and the girls are jeopardized.

They'll be in an East facing bedroom ..hubby and I share :p ...so it will be the coolest room, already ..and there's black out curtains in that room (hubby works nights) ..so I think we'll be fine with one of these smaller units.

Thanks again! ;)

Back