Popsicle Sticks

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovemychin

Ruby's Mom
Are popsicle sticks safe to give to chinchillas? I have seen pictures of chins with them i just wasnt sure

Yes, they are fine. I like to get them from bird supply stores because I feel more safe that way, I would not buy craft sticks since they may not be made with human grade safe dye since they are not meant to suck on.

i noticed that the ones sold in acmoore are made by Nicole company and it says right on there that they are made in china. that makes me nervous. i think i would only buy if they were made in usa.

I used to give my chins popsicle sticks but they splinter so bad. I've actually found cuts on a few of my chin's mouths after giving them popsicle stick hanging toys, so I don't give them anymore.

I personally wouldn't give popsicle sticks because of splintering. Others use them with no problems, but I know it would be my luck that someone would get stabbed in the roof of the mouth or get a splinter.

My guys love apple sticks.

I am actually not a fan of popcicle sticks due to the splinters issue either. I am just to paranoid and stick with other toys.

I used to give my chins popsicle sticks but they splinter so bad. I've actually found cuts on a few of my chin's mouths after giving them popsicle stick hanging toys, so I don't give them anymore.

Wow, I didn't even think about that, this is good to know.

I agree. I recently got a package to make toys and the stcks splintered very badly. They weren't the popsicle sticks, they were round like toothpicks, but I won't use either now because of that.

Thanks guys for the awesome info! I was wondering because i have been giving them to my chin for the last few days because she is so picky if her stuff gets a little worn so i am waiting for her new stuff to come in tomorrow.

I have gotten stuck by them just cleaning the debris out of the cage!! So that made me worry about little chinnie feet being poked by them, or worse yet, little chinnie gums. :(

I don't give them anymore, either.

I also quit giving them. We stopped with the "sticks" quite some time ago--and we're not going back. I give apple sticks, branch bites, safe wood toy/chews. Not worth the risk of ingesting/cutting mouth/ etc.

Back