Poor Nibbler...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcidicAngel

So after recent events(go read "Unexpected Surprise!" in the breeding forum) I've now finally managed to separate Nibbler from Shadow, Smoky & Kali.

I feel awful doing it as he was so good with the kits, cleaning them and interacting with them. Sometimes better than Shadow was! The only thing he didn't do for them was feed them, and that's got a pretty obvious reason why.

Anyway, now he's in his own cage and he's pacing frantically looking for his kits. Non-stop since going in, food everywhere already, etc.. I'm obviously going to keep him separated as it needs to happen, but I'm worried he's going to hurt himself. He keeps bouncing so fast to try and find them he's falling from his shelves and stuff, he's chewing and pulling at the cage bars. He's panting too so I don't want him to overheat himself.
It's clear he's very distressed about being separated whereas Shadow and kits don't seem to have even noticed he's gone.

Is there anything I can do to help him "transition" or will he just have to settle on his own?

He's calmed down a bit now, with the occasional outburst of energy.

Taken some interest in his chew toys and had a drink and some food :)

Back