Poor James is quilling terribly and is quite moody

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anna.babyxox

Should I forgo holding him in a towel to bond? He has lost a ton of quills, his house where he sleeps looks like a pine tree fell over. lol I feel bad for him, is there anything I can do to help? Right now I have him wrapped up in a towel and he is chewing on the towel. O.O I don't know if he is trying to get to my skin or what he's doing but I feel terribly for him. He has never bitten or been aggressive before, I know it's just the uncomfortable quilling making him so upset D=

Poor James. Luckily poptart was old enough to not be going through quilling when I got him. He lost a few, maybe 10 that I saw but I think that's normal. Unfortunately I believe (undiagnosed) that he has mites. I'm sure james' quilling sores and pains will come to pass in a few weeks.

When they are quilling I do tend to ease up on cuddle time a bit. I can't imagine what it feels like but I'm pretty sure it isn't comfortable. I would spend time with him in different ways (soothing baths, sitting on my lap without touching his quilled areas).

Yeah, I held him for a while in the towel, didn't pet his back like I normally do, just let him sit with me. He is unhappy right now and it's understandable. Like when you're a kid and your body grows too fast at some point and you ache. At least that's what I think of it as xD

I continue to cuddle them, but I don't touch their backs. I let them snuggle up in their snuggle bag, and just hold them on my chest or lap. At least the time they spent in their bags they are still with me and can get used to my sounds/smell/movements.

If he gets too achy, drop a couple of drops of flaxseed oil or vitamin e oil on his back. It helps soften the skin.

I will definitely do that! I already have vitamin e oil so hopefully that will help. Thanks!

Ha ha yikes! That would suck. Right now I am sitting with my lap top propped up and he keeps trying to climb the keyboard xD Little goofball. I think he feels better today, he's much friendlier at least LOL He is a terrible climber but tries so hard at every opportunity and when I let him play in the kitchen the only places he ever wants to go are the places I have blocked off. He also likes to nip any toes that are available to him xD

Latest posts

Back