Poop Stuck In fur?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LannyCoop

Hi I just need some advice on poop in my poor little guys fur.. Its stuck and I am just wondering, will it come out in a dust bath? I tried getting it out myself but it seemed to cause him... anger haha. Should I let him work it out himself? What have others do in this situation. please Let me know, thanks!

Are his poops soft for some reason? Usually a normal poop will rarely stick to the fur and if it does, it is easily removed.

Are his poop really soft? I agree normally poop should not stick to the fur. A dust bath should help get them out.

Never had that happen here neither....I hope somebody comes and helps you out with why they would be sticky, doesn't that mean something, someone? They should not be too firm neither....Are his poo's constant too?

Try unscented mild baby wipes if the poo will not come out.

When I first brought my babies home I think the stress of the move made their poohs a little softer than they should have been so I gave them acidophilus and I simply just combed the pooh out of their fur and kept their cage as clean as humanly possible to keep them from stepping in it etc. I literally had a bucket next to their cage with a small broom/dustpan and I was sweeping up poohs every chance I got.

A chin's poo should not be sticky, as mentioned. How long has your chin had sticky poo? What food do you use? Hay, water? I would add some acidophilus (capsules can be bought at CVS, Walgreens, etc.) to his food, and give him a plain shredded wheat cereal bite and unlimited hay. If that does not help, he should probably get tested for Giardia and other things from a vet.

To get the poo out, I think brushing it out is the best bet. In my experience baby wipes only make a bigger mess!

Oh, thats different then if it was just the move that caused it. Hopefully. I remember when I got Macy new shelves he had bad soft poops all day and the new shelves were no longer new looking once he scooted around his cage like a mad thing. LOL.

Poor little stressed chinnie!

ChinnieChantel: OP is already giving him acidophilus :)

When I first got Tink and before I came to this forum, I would let her roll around in an exercise ball for about 15 minutes. She would then urinate a little in the ball and poop would get stuck to her fur She didn't like it, but I would gently pull it out. That hasn't happened again after I stopped using the ball (ages ago). But if your chin is getting wet somehow, then poop would easily stick to his fur. I guess you need to figure out why poop is sticking in his fur, whether he is wet or his poops are soft, and then you can go from there.

Oh yes sorry i didnt tell why, well okay, I got one of those toys that you can hang stuff to chew, and there was a hamster one one it that was not take off by accident, so he was chewing on it and his poops were soft, so i took that out, gave him shredded wheat, hay and such and his poops are much better, I have a injured foot so im not on my feet, but my mom put it in thinking it was okay, but the hamster chew upset him. thats why his poops were soft.. but hes better now, there back to normal.

and yeah I have been, petting it out if that makes sense, and that worked. so hopefully I will get the little bit out today.

Latest posts

Back