poetry. . .

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moon

Seymore Fuzzbutts
So, most 11 year olds write about butterflies, rainbows, ponies, etc. Not my kid. When asked to write a poem with the theme "the world as I see it. . . " my kid writes:

Heart-Broken

Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
Love hurts a lot;
So do you.
The roses are wilted,
The violets are dead.
On the inside you killed me,
And tore me to shreds.
You twisted my heart;
You were so cruel.
My heart and my brain
are matched in a duel.
My brain says to leave;
My heart says to stay.
I still can't decide
Day after day.
It hurts me to see you;
Don't know what to do.
But that's what I get
For loving you.

Ayup. That's my kid alright.

wow... I have to say that's pretty profound for an 11 year old.

But, already heart broken at 11?? o_O

wow.........you may have a songwriter on your hands.......or a drama queen! either way, quite talented for an 11 year old.

I think it just means she can actually write. Most kids don't write poetry from their feelings or from feelings that exist but they might not have themselves (as this may be the case). They just make rhymes with cute things they think the teacher is looking for. And sometimes they like the shock value of more morbid poems even though they aren't deeply depressed :) But still means they can write :) Also, our minds are scary sometimes...they can think of things beyond what we would actually do, say, or feel.

Keep an eye out for her, but I think she is just good at writing and probably has a little more awareness of the world than typical for her age.

She is an avid reader. I'm not concerned about her mental health, and I know my daughter. She's just very smart, and feels things deeply. No, she's not describing her own broken heart, but she can empathize, and put those feelings into words because she's mentally and emotionally mature for her age.

I can see why some might be worried about her emotional stability, and I guess no one on here knows me well enough - that's MY kid, no doubt! - but I'm proud of her, and I think she writes very well.

That's why she wrote it Michelle. Thanks!

She had written another one that was ok, and I told her I'd help her edit it a little, but the other night she came up to me with her notebook and said, "I think I nailed it, Mom!"

I read it and had to agree!

Ah ha! Well, definitely encourage her to submit to various writing competitions as she gets older. She might be able to get some scholarship money to save for college. My sister was able to get some scholarship money through a few writing competitions.

Latest posts

Back