pneumonia

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

After an emergency vet visit because of a lack of appetitie, I learned that my chin, Digit, has pneumonia. The results of the x-ray show that his right lung is full of gunk. He's been at the vet for the past two days getting treatment through meds and a nebulizer. He's coming home tonight.

I'm currently out of state and a little bit panicked. He's currently on Baytril, Metacam, and a gut motility drug (Reglan). The vet is prescribing another gut motility drug and yet another med because they think he's diabetic. My husband is there to take care of him, but he does work and I want nothing more than to be home, taking care of Digit.

Any tips or hints on beating this? I know he'll likely have to be hand fed because of the Baytril, but I've never dealt with this before.

just fyi if you've never used it before, most chins do get upset tummeis from baytril, so you might end up force feeding him.

i do hope you got him to the vet in time.

i will say this. one of mine had some gunk in their lungs, but i got her to vet in time [of course on a weekend so had to go to the E vet], she got a shot of something, then went home with something to take orally and was okay in a week. but i caught it the first day it started..

watch her breathing, if it gets any worse, get to the vet immediately.. giving her shots of the meds gets in her system alot quicker than orally [thats what they told me]..

good luck wishes for a fast recovery.

summer

My husband reported that he seems like he's feeling better. He's still eating like normal (woohooo!), is more active, and is being a little booger when it comes to take his meds. Thanks for asking and get those positive thoughts coming!

Back