Plexiglass a ferret nation?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PonyoHAM

Does anybody have experience/pictures of their ferret nation with plexiglass borders to hold mess in? I plan on doing this to my fn and would like to know how they did it

Hi,
I made these cage guards out of some aluminum floor threshold left over from a home remodel job. They work well and are easy to clean. I just cut them with a hack saw in a mitre box for clean cuts and deburred the corner ends. I drilled small holes and hung them with aluminum large safety pins. You would need at least 4 of them to cover a FN. At $11.97 each, I'm not sure its worth the expense.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...keyword=door threshold aluminum&storeId=10051

Quality cage makes cage guards for only $17(only 3 pieces), but the longest piece is only 30". Maybe they can make a custom order to fit the FN (36"?)

http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1791

Attachments

• Cage_guards.jpg
    Cage_guards.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 36
I tried it.
It makes it hard to add/move shelves.
By the time you get the lexan tall enough to not get chewed, it blocks airflow.

My chins are luckily out of the ordinary... For some reason they only chew wood and their Pumic stones... Everything else they don't care for including plastic... (i ont have any plastic toys, houses, etc in their cage)I have most of their cage fleeced except for one shelf where I put the hay on...and yes they are chewing enough they have tons of toys which they destroy... Luckily plastic doesn't tickle their fancy:)

As has been mentioned on here many times, just because a chin does not chew plastic -now- does not mean that they won't start. Especially something new added to their environment. I once had someone tell me that their chins didn't chew plastic but all of their plastic "accessories" had little bite marks around the edge. It is a risk I wouldn't take, just to save having to sweep up a little poop.

I have plexiglass on the back of my ferret nations. they are up against the wall and it helps with the shavings/hay/poo falling behind. it still falls on the sides, even those i have metal pans.
the way mine is attached, the chins can not even get to it. and since it is only on the back it does not restrict airflow BUT it is a pain to adjust shelves without drilling holes in it and when you decide to rearrange, than you have more holes. the plexi i have it dark tinted so you can really see thru the back which i like.

Back