Please help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovemychingary

I was giving Gary his weekly raisin two days ago and it seemed like he choked a bit on it and looked to be gagging and making squeeking noises that i've never heard him make before. Since then, he hasn't drank or eaten much and has been lethargic. I also noticed his breathing sounds weezy and is in much smaller breaths. I tried to feed him 1 piece of oat today and he made that same gagging sound. Could there be a piece of raisin lodged in his system somewhere, either by his lungs or esophagus? I'm terrified that he'll die. Please help!!

Please please please take him to the vet now...they are the only ones who have any real chance of being able to help you!

Sounds like he may have aspirated which is serious and he needs vet care. Aspirating food if it doesnt cause the chin to choke to death immediately can cause pneumonia.

Too late to really do anything about this now but chins should not be fed raisins.

Chin needs a oral exam under gas, those symptoms also point to something going on in the mouth-broken tooth, soft tissue damage etc since it came on fast.

Latest posts

Back