Please Help!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthny158

My cat just got ahold of my chin....He stuck his paw through the cage :( My chin mainly suffered lost hair but there is a spot right under her ear where some of the skin was pulled off. Not real big...Just kind of a dot size area about the size of a pencil...She's running around her cage, playing with her toys & acting normal...So I'm wondering if I need to do anything? I've never dealt with open wounds in chins...I'm not sure how hardy they are. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Cats carry deadly diseases that can be transmitted to chins through saliva and feces-both found on a cats feet and claws. In the future keep your cat away from your chin and I would keep a very close eye on the chin for further symptoms, a emergency vet visit may be needed.

Clean the wound with warm water to make sure it's as simple as you think. You can also clean it with a 1/2 hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 water mixture to make sure it's thoroughly cleaned. Then do as Dawn said as far as keeping a close eye on your chin to make sure he doesn't develop any issues from this.

You might want to take a read through the debate section in regards to letting other animals near your chins. This was a pretty hot topic just last week, and maybe if people who swear kitty won't bother chins read about your chin getting hurt, they'll finally realize that cats and chins should not be near each other - period.

Thanks for your input. I've wrapped the bottom half of her cage & the cat completely ignores it now. But it really scared me. I shoo him away when he gets within a couple feet now. I'll head over to those posts now & read them. If I can help someone else to keep this from happening, that'll be great.

Another question---What are some of the signs I should be looking for? I'm completely freaking out over this. Been watching her all day...

My cat is mostly outside but when he is inside and I'm not at home, or Handbag is active on his lower level, I use this cutting board to make a little barrier. Or if I just want to give my chinnie some privacy.

I got it at Joann's Fabric Store and I used a 40% off coupon so it cost about $10. I like it because if folds out like an accordion but folds up skinny for easy storage.

it measures 40" x 72" so Handbag can still hang out on his upper level of his Ferret Nation and see what's going on but the bottom is secure from kitties curious paws.

Just a suggestion. It works really well for me.

http://www.joann.com:80/joann/catal...geName=search&flag=true&PRODID=zprd_01025055a

Thanks...I'm definately going to have to look into getting one of those. The blanket seems to be working but I'm worried about it falling down.

Thanks...I'm definately going to have to look into getting one of those. The blanket seems to be working but I'm worried about it falling down.

Since the blanket may not be ideal, you could look into getting some hardware cloth to go around the cage. Just some small enough to keep the cat from reaching through.

That's a good idea too! I'm definately going to have to make some changes to her change to keep the kitty's wandering paw out :)

With pasturella you want to be looking for any sign of infection. If the wound starts looking angry and red I would go to the vet immediately. If the wound looks to be healing properly than things should be fine.

Thank you for posting this because cats and other pets do not mix. Hopefully others will learn this too.

So far, she seems to be doing fine. She's running & hopping around like normal. Eating, drinking & pooping normal. The cut has scabbed over & looks like it's healing normally. And yes, I really hope others can learn from this before it happens to them :)

That's really great to hear. I had a feeling you had things under control but wanted to describe what it would look like if it were getting infected. Your watching for all the right things too. With all of the pets I have sometimes I feel like a poopologist because it's such a good way to monitor health.

Lol yea....I grew up on a farm so I've always had a mini zoo....Not to experienced in chins though...

Latest posts

Back