Please help with itchy hedgehog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mcr05e

HELP

Our hedgehog littlefoot is scratching herself raw on her head. She has already scratched her eyes so much we had to have them surgically removed. The poor thing just seems uncomfortable. She eats fine, runs on her wheel constantly, drinks plenty and seems happy as can be. We handle her all the time. She doesn't have any dandruff. We had her checked for mites and she is clear. We have a dustless paper bedding. What could be going on please help she is bleeding from her scratches. i'll try to put a picture.

Attachments

• Photo0118.jpg
    Photo0118.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 45
Poor little gal.

Treat her for mites regardless of what the testing says. Skin scraps aren't always accurate especially if they happen to scrap where there are no mites.

Use Revolution, 3 doses, 2 weeks apart.

Switch to cloth liners. Just go to the store and buy some polar fleece and cut to the size of the bottom of the cage. There is really no such thing as totally dustless paper and it's possible she could be allergic.

If Revolution and cloth liners don't work, think about something else she could be allergic to. Possibly even food.

It could also be a bacterial or fungal infection and a skin scrap would show it up.

Thank you so much. We have some fleece for her but just to snuggle up with didn't think about it for a liner. Is there special revolution for hedgehogs and if so where would i get it? 1800petmeds? we'll get her on that stuff and see if it helps. Thank you so much for the tips

Awww, that poor thing, I hope she does better :] Sending thoughts her way :heart:

Back