Please help! Hannah is acting strange

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbee

Okay friends, as a new chin Mom, I am freaking out. This is day 5 with Hannah and she is always friendly, bouncy, and seems chipper. She's been humping into my hands now and letting me touch her more. This morning I got up at 6am and went into the kitchen where Hannah is. I was in a hurry so I told her good morning and sat to do my makeup. I sat by her cage when I was done like I always do but she wouldn't approach me like usual. She seemed stand off-ish. I offered her hay, even the soft head part, and she wouldn't eat it! Then, two times she flattened her body a tiny bit and I thought she was going to poop but she let out this terrible sad cry! Sounded like a sad squeaky toy. Is she in pain? Is she sick? Was there some noise during the night that freaked her out that I didn't hear? I posted yesterday in the supply section about being concerned she was dehydrated, but didn't get any replies yet. I had to leave for work and I am so scared for her right now. Please let me know what may be wrong. She did eat one pellet of food from me and drank some when I offered her water after flipping her bottle over and over. I hope she was just scared. Thanks guys!

Is she drinking the water out of her bottle? If she isn't getting the hang of the new water bottle, you may need to get a regular glass bottle. Is she pooping okay? If she's not pooping, then you have a problem and need to get vet assistance right away. Do you work close to home where you can check on her at lunch or have someone else check on her?

She poops a ton. I work almost an hour away but my husband checked on her and said she greeted him at the front of the cage and was running around like crazy and eating hay. Could she have been scared of something this morning? There were no loud noises during the night that I know of but she is in the kitchen and I was in the bedroom.

Those are good signs. She is probably fine. Chins do weird things. Just make sure she is eating, drinking, pooping and acting like her usual self. Get her another water bottle that works correctly until she gets used to the new one.

She did fall from her hammock the other day but she bounced right back up and hasn't acted any differently when touched etc. I know they have floating ribs so I am paranoid. But my husband said she seemed fine and now she is sleeping. I'm just new to their behavior and worried about my baby.

Never figured out if something scared her but by the time I got home she was fine.

It could have been you just caught her at the wrong time that morning. They do get a bit of attitude when they're woken up when they're not ready to.

There are times when mine will act scared like that. They wont move or do anything, even tho i cant hear or see anything that might be troubling them.
And as jav said, some are moody at certain times. My girls are incredibly moody when they are waking up or have been woken up. Little things you pick up on over time.
Just make sure she is eating, drinking and pooping. Mark a glass water bottle if you need to in order to make it easier to see the water level changing.

I've had my chin for months and he was acting the same way the other day. He's very friendly and he lets me rub him all over, but he acted like he didn't wanna be touched and he wouldn't come out of his cage to play, which is strange for him. When I left the room, he started to cry (make the squeaky toy noise) and when I checked on him, he just looked at me and continued to cry. I was worried about him, but he was back to normal the next day. I assume he was either mad at me for some reason and throwing a fit or he heard something that scared him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pressed Reply before I was finished... Try not to worry too much, just keep an eye on her and make sure she's eating, drinking, and pooping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back