PLEASE HELP! Chinchilla Might Have GI Stasis!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really know if I'm overreacting, but I think my chinchilla may have GI stasis. His buddy passed away just yesterday-he was a beautiful, adorable, lively little chinchilla, Nibbles. Nibbles was taken to the vet with scabs over his body and a low temperature. We don't know what the actual cause was of his death, but it's very likely because he was attacked by Oreo, the chinchilla that might have GI stasis. The two had engaged in pretty escalated fights just a few days earlier, and while Nibbles seemed fine two days ago, yesterday he was found barely moving, so we took him to the vet, but it was too late. :((( I love him so much, and hope he is at peace now. It makes me cry just thinking about how I could not save my poor boy Nibbles. I fed my chinchillas a little bit of lettuce and broccoli, and I read that that encourages GI stasis. Oreo has been acting normal, though squeaking for his buddy, I assume. However, his poop looks a little smaller than it's supposed to be from what I see online. I'm very worried, but he still eats a lot (or appears to at least), and is pretty active. Does he have GI Stasis? And if not, how can I help make his poop normal again?

PS: I love you so much Nibbles, I hope you are very happy now

Stasis is when the gut actually stops, so you would see no poops at all. Most likely he has gas (which can lead to stasis if not treated) from being feed the lettuce and broccoli (neither are appropriate foods for chins, they shouldn't be given veggies of any kind), broccoli especially is gassy and chins can't burp or fart (they can pass gas as they poop but can't pass gas on it's own) so the gas bubbles need to be small enough to pass with the poops. I would try some infant gas drops and see if that helps. If he doesn't improve after the gas drops, shows any other signs, or stops pooping he needs to get to the vet.

The poops also look pretty green, that could be caused by the lettuce and broccoli as well but if not it could be a sign of giardia and needs meds from the vet.

I can pretty much guarantee that Oreo killed Nibbles, chins can and do fight to the death so when they start seriously fighting you have to separate them. Even if they have been bonded for years they can have a falling out.

Alright, thanks for your reply. Oreo isn't in any major danger though, is he? Is it okay if I wait a few more days before feeding the infant gas drops? I'd like to watch him a little more, while waiting for the shipping.

Also, it's really sad about Nibbles and Oreo, :( Nibbles really didn't do anything to deserve this.

I would definitely not wait days before doing anything, hours, but not days if he bloats and goes into stasis he needs to go the the vet right away, and there is a high chance he could die, getting the gut going again isn't always possible. If you can't get gas drops, they sell them at any pharmacy, I would just take him to the vet right away so they can treat him. Here is some more info that might help Treatment and Prevention of Bloat and Constipation

Are these brands any good? They can come in three days. If he really needs to go to the vet I can take him tomorrow, or I can go to the pharmacy today.

Attachments

• Screenshot (250).png
    Screenshot (250).png
    315.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot (251).png
    Screenshot (251).png
    364.8 KB · Views: 3
This can come within two hours!! Is this brand fitting for a chinchilla? Can chinchillas have flavored tablets?

Attachments

• Screenshot (253).png
    Screenshot (253).png
    256.7 KB · Views: 3
I looked around more and found that Phazyme was used a lot for chinchillas. Pharmacies are closed now, but the Phazyme comes in 14 hours. Will Oreo be well until then?

Last edited:
So I guess Target doesn't sell any infant gas drops? Those are way too high of a dosage, you need 20mg not 250mg, you'll need less then 1/10 of one of those gels, so probably use a needle to poke a hole and only use maybe a single drop from one of those gel. Nowhere sells infant gas drops? If he is back to pooping normal though he may be fine. It takes about 12-24 hours for things to go through their system, if he is fine now no need for gas drops.

Oh no, Target does. They're shipping to me in thirteen hours now. I will make sure to only feed him some, but he's back to not pooping much, though that may be because he's resting right now.

Alright, it's here! Thank you so much for your help by the way. I plan on giving him a drop every approximate four hours.

Back