Playtime??????

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

My chin is 4yrs old and I adopted him from a rescue about 1 1/2 months ago so I'm still getting used to everything. I am wondering what you guys do for playtime for you chins (meaning outside of the cage) right now I taped together a bunch of large cardboard pieces and he plays in there but lately he's been chewing the bottom apart so he can get out or ripping the 2 edges apart that i clip together and he gets out. I can't have him running around my room because he chew on my molding and the corner of my wall and wires, basically anything he can get his mouth on. If I could chin proof my room I would but it just isn't possible for me. I know some people put them in the bathroom, it may work for him but I also have a cat and her bowls and litter box is in the bathroom so I wouldn't want him getting into that. Any other suggestions on what I could use? At home my floors in my room are hardwood, but when I go up to college the floor in my apartment is carpet.

Play time is important for healthy chins, so I'm glad you are trying your best. For my chinchilla, I began with letting her out in the bathroom. If you are worried about your chin getting into cat food and such, just remove it from the room while you play with your chinchilla. Just make sure you block off any wires or pipes with cardboard. Playing in the bathroom is a good way to keep them close, but also give them freedom. You can also invest in metal fence-like gates that you can form into a circle. Use these to give them a safe place to play right outside their cage. This is another option I use for my chins; you can even sit inside! This is the best option if you want to avoid a lot of chin-proofing. I now let my oldest out in my room, and I block off any wires and small spaces with cardboard and gates. If you are worried about you chin chewing on things, you can attempt to teach him to stop on command. Firmly say "no" while directing him away from what he is chewing, or give a brief but gentle puff of air to their face. This will teach them (hopefully) not to chew. Hard floors can be swept of poo, but you may need to vacuum carpet often if you let them out on that. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back