Playpens?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minccino

Chin-sational
What play pen works best for chinchillas?

I want one that's large enough for me to sit in with him, but still roomy for him to run around. Of course it needs to be high enough too, so he won't feel like trying to jump it. I see some dog ones that look great, but I'm pretty sure the bar spacing it too wide.. And the critter ones I am finding seem really small, unless it's just the photos.

So suggestions?? Which one do you have? What works best for you and your chins? :))

Thanks!

What play pen works best for chinchillas?

I want one that's large enough for me to sit in with him, but still roomy for him to run around. Of course it needs to be high enough too, so he won't feel like trying to jump it. I see some dog ones that look great, but I'm pretty sure the bar spacing it too wide.. And the critter ones I am finding seem really small, unless it's just the photos.

So suggestions?? Which one do you have? What works best for you and your chins? :))

Thanks!

It took me FOREVER to solve this problem without spending WAY too much money. I finally found some really thick, huge pieces of cardboard that you can get from Staples or find online for pretty cheap. They're 6' tall so there's no possibility of escape and too thick to chew through. I made a big circle around their cage with 4-5 sheets of cardboard, it's pretty roomy! Cost me $12, too :D The only thing is I don't know if the cardboard would stand up on its own, I have bins of toys and crafts and stuff we had around the house forming a circle that supports the cardboard. If you get even thicker cardboard, it might stand up on its own. Good luck!

I bought 2' x 3' cardboard sheets from Staples. They came in a pack of 24 and were about $8 or something like that. I attached them tall ways, with duct tape, allowing for them to accordion fold for easy storage either under or behind the couch. Making the accordion fold was a bit tricky, but if you take your time, it really works great.

At first I was worried about the duct tape, but my 2 guys never ever chew on it. I've been using this system for quite a while and other than having to repair tape that comes loose, it's worked amazing for me.

3' doesn't seem that tall, knowing how high these guys can jump, but so far the only time they've tried to make the jump is from my shoulder.

It's also kind of nice, because if you attach everything nicely, every 2 feet or so, you can change the direction of the cardboard, allowing you to fit the playpen to the contours of your room and your furniture.

I used about 20 of the panels and it's really great, it gives the guys plenty of room to run and jump and allows for at least 2 people to be in there with them at the same time.

Latest posts

Back