Playpen Freak out

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmG

Just got a playpen for Carl today and set it up. First time putting him in and he seems fine. Running around and then he starts jumping out at me determined to get out. So I just keep putting him back in. Finally I put him back into his cage and he's fine. My mom told me to just put him in each day for a few minutes but just wondering if anybody has a advice to make him more calm maybe?

I agree that sitting with him in the playpen might help. He also may not like being in a confined area such as the playpen. Maybe try to instead play with him in a chinsafe room, such as a bathroom or a big walk-in closet, where he can run around more freely. Just make sure you supervise him during play time, and that there is nothing in his reach that he can chew, jump on, drown in, etc. (you can never be too careful!). Hope that helps :)

Chins love to escape - just part of their nature. It is fun to them. If he is jumping out of the top try putting a sheet on top. Sometimes that helps - otherwise you might have to get a taller playpen with a top. Your chin is just being a chin.

Sounds like a normal chin to me. They love to escape and get into trouble whenever they can. Get a taller play pen or chin proof a room. Bath rooms are usually the easiest to chinny proof.

:) it's fixed! I think it was scary at first to him. He didn't do it so much the second Time around and now he doesn't do it at all. I should've realized he was scared of it since he acted like that with his new cage as well. I put some toys from his cage in with him and he's fine now. He runs in circles and loves it. I do keep an eye on him though about jumping out. I used to take him into the bathroom but it was a stressful situation trying to get him into the bathroom every other night so this playpen works great for him.

You're probably a safe zone, as is his cage, but he's cut off from the safe things and has a scary new thing surrounding him, so it's not surprising he tries to escape (plus the whole chins typically like doing that stuff) You could also try setting up the playpen so he can access his cage during playtime to further help. My chin, and others' will go in and out of the cages during their playtime. They can access all food/water/toys/pee spot, have a safe space, and have the bonus room to play in.

I'll have to try and figure out a way to make his cage accessible thanks for the tips :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408909522.711787.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back