play time?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought my first chinchilla about 5 days ago, and he has started trusting us enough to let us pet him and crawl around on us, so therefore we let him out of the cage for play time. Because I read somewhere that chinchilla's are not nocturnal, but crepuscular (meaning that they are awake at dawn and dusk), we let him out to play twice a day, once on the morning and once at night. He generally starts to fall asleep after an hour of play.

I was just wondering if this is too much play time, or if there is such a thing?

Also, we have one very small bathroom, so we let him out to play in the main room of our one bedroom apartment. Is there a reason people typically only let them play in bathrooms?

Both of my chins "tell me" when they're done playing. They tend to sit still and look at me waiting to go back to the cage or sprawl out trying to cool down. An hour might be overdoing it if they're new to you. It can vary from animal to animal.

Bathrooms are typically small rooms with very few places to hide so your chins can bound around without you losing them behind a cabinet etc. They're also relatively easy to "chin proof" vs other rooms. All you really need to do is make sure that any surface they can get to is dry and your soaps/shampoos are out of reach. It's convenience more than anything.

If the chin is less than 6 months old, it really shouldn't play that much. They need all their energy to grow on. If he is older, he can handle it. Mine are usually only good for half an hour to an hour. Mine have access to their cage during playtime and they usually put themselves back in it when they are done playing.

SO is it a bad idea to let him sleep outside of his cage? I leave the cage open for him to go back in, and it's on the floor, so its not like it is hard for him to get into it, he just doesn't. And the only way I can get him back into his cage without cornering and grabbing him is to get him to get into his bath. But, he has gotten quite smart about this and will only get halfway in or runs out as soon as I move. I just want to make sure he is happy, but maybe I am moving too fast?

I would not let him sleep outside of his cage for his own safety. And obviously a chin should be supervised when out of his cage. They are very curious critters and can get into lots of trouble.

It is hard to get them back in their cages when they don't want to go. I keep mine contained in a playpen with a tunnel and toys, that way they are easier to catch when playtime is over.

The bathroom is popular because it is "chin proof." there is nothing they can hurt themselves on, and there is (usually) a short distance between you and your chinchilla, so if he starts to chew, or do something unsafe, you can correct him/her. Also, it's a great starting place to bond with a chinchilla! There is less room to run away in, less room to hide, so your chin can get use to being outside of the cage, and close to you. I would start in the bathroom and then work your way up to a bigger room.

Latest posts

Back