Play time questions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamaisVu

Hi everybody,

So I've had my chins for almost a week now. From the very first day I noticed that they were extremely friendly chins. They quickly let me pet them and scratch their necks, and seemed very curious of me.

However, I was very worried about their exercise. I got them a pretty large cage, and built some shelves so they could jump around, but I know they needed their play time.

I live in an apartment, and I do music, so it's not easy to chin-proof rooms. In fact, I realized that the safest place for them to play was my room. I proofed it as best as I could, but I was clearly underestimating 2 things: their curiosity and their ability to crawl into small places.

Overall, playtime went pretty well (they even jumped on me a couple of times), but they managed to crawl under and over my bed. Now, under isn't really a problem except it's a bit hard to lure them out (I clearly need to put better barriers next time), but over is.

Now, it's not like I mind cleaning after them. Not at all. Vacuuming only takes a few minutes, and if they pee it's also simple to clean out. I just don't want that on my bed. I was lucky this time, and since I took some of their favorite treats with me to playtime, they quickly got off, but I'm not sure how to avoid that situation again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have playtime in the bathroom. Its very quick to chin proof and if they mess on the floor its very easy to clean up. I know other members have play pens for their chins and others do what i do have have play time in the bathroom. So I think its just a matter of preference of where you want play time. If you do want it in your room I would suggest a play pen for them. That way they are safe in an area and you don't have to worry about them getting under the bed or messing on the bed. hope this helps! And congrats on your new Chins!

P.S Post pics!

Congrats on your friendly babies! I also take my boys in the bathroom for playtime. They love to jump from the floor to the toilet to the sink! Charlie likes to jump up on the edge of the tub and sometimes into it (empty of course)...silly boys! Now that they know they can get on your bed, they will probably continue to do so...especially if you dont want them there!!

I have 2 pens attached together for a larger area for my chin to be confined in. My chin used to have play time in the bathroom, but she started chewing on my lower cabinets and drawers. The play pens work very well for me. If you have an escape artist, there are covered playpens, or a sheet can be clothes pinned to the top to prevent an escape.

I have 2 pens attached together for a larger area for my chin to be confined in. My chin used to have play time in the bathroom, but she started chewing on my lower cabinets and drawers. The play pens work very well for me. If you have an escape artist, there are covered playpens, or a sheet can be clothes pinned to the top to prevent an escape.

Yeah I was wondering if the playpens were a GOOD idea also, but I was afraid they were too small-how did u attach them together? if I may ask..

I just use the rod that comes with the wire playpens from petsmart to attach the cages together. You can take the one cage and make a circle with it and the rod goes into the loops to create a sturdy cage, or this is where you can add the 2nd cage. I guess I really can't explain it well enough...but it wasn't hard to attach them. I still have 2 cages connected in this 1st pic, but have now incorporated the pen around her cage so she can come and go from her cage as she pleases. This works for me because my chin isn't a jumper, meaning she doesn't try to escape in the 3 years I've had her, and I don't have animals that bother her. They leave her alone. But the 2nd pic shows the rod that comes with the pens that you can use to attach the cages.

Attachments

• IMG_5660.jpg
    IMG_5660.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5661.jpg
    IMG_5661.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 11
Back