Planting Pots? Clay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dusty&Zia

I'm sure I've probably posted this in the wrong spot. I apologize if I did.

In the making and modifications of the chin's cages, I was wondering what type of planting (?) pots/clay can be permitted inside of the chin's cages. I've seen multiple users have these clay pot-like things in their cages and was wondering if they were deadly for the chins to chew on, cut up their insides, etc. Any information regarding this topic would be both greatful and helpful. Thanks!

Ahh, okay, thank you very much! That's going to help a lot, since Dusty loooves to chew on that sort of things. I have to keep every painted clay pot out of his paws for his own safety.

Terracotta pots are good... my only word of advice is not to use them in cages with small babies, especially the pots with the holes in the bottom.
One of my chins got her snout stuck in the hole as a kit, and do to the damage ended up having to have her top to teeth pulled out and now has to get bimontly trimmings for her lower teeth... she has has a line on the top of her nose where her fur will not grow.
Of course she could be a freak of nature as that's not her first or only accident, and that's why she is named Klutz. lol

Aw, I'm sorry about what happened to your chin Mischievous. Hmm, Terracotta pots, thank you so much! I'll be keeping an eye out for them. I would presume that they're sold at craft stores, nature stores, or even planting stores?

Yes, they are very common planting pots, should be found at any home and garden store. Sometimes they might just be referred to as "clay pots." Here is a refrence picture of ones similar to what i use. I would just double check on which ones have lead in them and not.

wwm_453.jpg

Thank you for the reference :D It'll definitely help a ton.

If memory serves, someone suggested to stay away from terracota pots from Mexico because of the potential lead content. I would think most non-discount stores/nurseries would have quality safe pots for the chins.

I definitely recommend terra cotta pots! I purchased mine from Home Depot and my chins love them. I take them out and clean them in the morning, wash them thoroughly and then place them in the freezer. I take them out at the peak of the afternoon and place them back in the cage. My girls are familiar with the routine and run down to play on the cold pots. I also use chilled pots in their carrier when I have to take the chins in the car.

Although they do chew on them, they mostly use their teeth to move them around the cage if I put them in a spot they don't like! I don't believe they are unsafe if they did, but they don't even try to chew on them anymore.

Other than not buying the ones made in Mexico, is there any other way to tell whether the pots have or don't have the lead in them?

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. From my understanding, if you do buy a terracotta pot, make sure that it's lead-free and not made in mexico. I plan on using it as a hay holder/object in cage. My main worry is whether or not the ingestion of the pot will cut up Dusty and Zia's insides/cause permanent damage. *unsure*

Hmmmm....Well by chins arent really chewers of all things chewable like may chins (which sometimes worries me). They chew wood ledges and twigs and thats it. There is always that danger with chins though that they will break off a bit, and I would imagine this would cause intestinal problems, but I know many use them and I haven't heard of any problems.

I've heard my chins drag the pots around from one side of the cage to another, and even after close to a year, the pots are barely scratched. I can't imagine them breaking off a piece, although I'd of course remove them if that happened.

The way my little one scoots up against the wall, upside-down balanced on a pot, is priceless. For under $5, these were the best investment I made for their playtime. It's the only 'toy' that has lasted a full year, and having pots I can freeze gives me peace of mind if something unexpected happens to my AC.

Attachments

• pepita-pot2-small.jpg
    pepita-pot2-small.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 25
I went to the craft store (which probably wasn't the greatest idea :p), and couldn't manage to find any pots. I'll probably end up going to Lowes, Home Deopt, or a local nursery that sells planting items. Where do you buy your Terracotta pots?

I bought mine at Walmart. The chins chomped on them a couple of times, found they weren't chewable, and never bothered them again. I think they were disappointed that they weren't a new chew toy :) I used them as hay holders for quite a while.

My mentor told me not to use terra cotta because its porous and can harbor bacteria. Especially if the chin urinates on it.

Terra cotta pots are fine as long as they are lead free and you can wash them with a half vinegar and hot water mix. I soak mine overnight every couple weeks.

Oooh, goodie! We're going to Walmart in a couple days and I'll be able to buy them then! If only I had known sooner. Where did you find them in Walmart? I don't think the gardening section is up yet...

Latest posts

Back