Plans and a few questions before bringing home Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbit721

I love furries
Hi there, I've been reading through the questions in this forum and wanted to describe a little bit of the set-up I have in mind to put together for bringing home my new furry. Obviously, I don't want to buy expensive or extraneous things that other chin parents may have found to be useless anyway, but I don't want to leave out anything important.

--I'm planning for a FN 181 Single Unit, if I remember right it's about 38x36x25, and using fleece liners instead of bedding.

--Question: Is it truly necessary to have some kind of litter box? Or would it be all right for me to just change my fleece liners every other day, I am ordering several sets so I can keep the cage fresh.

--Wheel: If it will fit, I want to put in a 12" exersaucer. Either that or the 16" Chin Spin I saw on amazon.... recommendations?

--For food, a fleece hay bag that attaches to the side of the cage (I saw one on the Fleeces for Furries Facebook page) and a simple ceramic dish for pellets were all I had in mind, nothing fancy. (And a simple water bottle attached to the outside of the cage, obviously)

--I'm excited to pick out some fun wooden toys, I'd like to get 6 or 8 and switch them out every so often to keep things interesting.

--For dust, I saw some Blue Cloud on amazon for pretty cheap and I have an old metal dog bowl I was planning to let the furry one roll around in.

What am I missing?

You don't need a litter box. Personally... I just use a glass baking dish filled with bedding, as it allows me to use the fleece longer. If you're willing to change it every other day, I'd say go for it.

You'll want a glass water bottle since they can chew through plastic ones.

I buy my dust from AZchins. I'd check it out. :]

Necessary for a littler pan, No. But it can be advisable. If they are willing to use a specific area to pee in, then take advantage of it! I have two chins that decided one day to stop using there's. Trust me, its a pain. But you can use different objects for it as smidgey alluded to.

I think the minamume for wheel is 14" iir. Personally i use a 15 3/4" wheel. I had a 13 3/4" inch one for a while before i could afford a large wheel. It worked but it was easy to see that it was a bit small for my girls.

A fleece hay bag, im not sure of. I guess it would depend on the chin. I know my girls would tear that up in a heart beat. My boys probably would to over time. - If your chin chews on the fleece, it has to be removed.
A bowl is usually fine. Once in a while mine get some pent up energy or are annoyed and will start moving it around, but they are usually good with it. Some have been known to throw them around.
Water bottle: Glass and attach outside the cage.

Cant help you on wooden toys. Still trying to work that out myself. My chins tear apart a hanging toy in a single night. And i certainly cant afford a new one every single day.

Blue cloud is a good dust. Check around for best price. I think i got my last order here. 30lbs for $40. Even with 5 chins, that should last me an incredibly long time. Years. And i don't reuse sand after baths.

If your getting a FN cage, you will want to take out the ramps. Replace them with wooden ledges. Better for the chins in many ways, and the ramps are dangerous. They can catch a limb in there which can lead to very very bad problems.

You can look into Bass pans. The tray that comes with a FN is plastic. You dont want a chin chewing on that. Some ppl cover them in fleece, some get these metal pans. I have the pans myself. They are nice as long as u don't let urine soak into them. And you dont have to worry about chewing with them. The only thing you want with that pan is a sheet of fleece to put under the pan. (Between the pan and the metal cage bars.) It greatly helps reduce noise. Other wise you have a chin hoping on the pans, and it will be metal on metal.

You will want a chinchiller- cheaper to buy a marble slab from hardware store -to help keep him cool
Should have somewhere for him to hide in- I get mine timothy grasshuts but he does destroy them. Can buy wooden huts that are good for chewing to and would last a lot longer. He'll need a safe spot to hide for the first few days and will help him feel more comfortable.
I, to, highly recommend a litter box. Just so much nicer to have them go in one spot instead of wherever they feel like it. Good practice for out of cage time. My guy was trained by previous owners to use wood shavings and he has a tendency to pee on any wood but mostly understands the litter box.
Enjoy your new friend! Eventually might want to look into a cuddle buddy and a tube or hammock.

Thanks for the responses! :)

We've decided to upgrade to a double FN instead of a single. Also we'll be using the steel exersaucer instead of a typical wheel. I'll definitely look for a good non-plastic litter pan to use, but honestly it won't bother me at all to change the fleeces every 48 hours. Maybe I'll do both and chinnies will have a super-clean cage, LOL!

More suggestions are always welcome! I've ordered a set of ledges and a bridge for their cage! I hope they like them. Less than two weeks until pickup day!

Back