Pink eyes and vision problems?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eroomlorac

Poppy the mosaic squibbit
This question is about my guinea pigs, in particular, but the question is for any animal with pink eyes. I have two guinea pigs, one has black eyes and one has those awesome pink eyes. The black eyed pig is very friendly and runs to greet me when I approach the cage and accepts treats from my hand. I can pick the black eyed pig up anytime with no problem. She often has her front paws on the side of the cage and her nose sniffing to see what I'm up to in her room. The pink eyed pig is skittish and it can be difficult to catch her for playtime. I snuggle them both and scritch them both the same. I wonder if the pink eyed pig is more skittish because maybe she can't see as well as the black eyed pig and therefore is a little more cautious or if it is just her personality. Does anyone know if pink eyed animals have a more difficult time seeing then black/dark eyed animals?

My albino rats have pink eyes and are basically blind. Animals of their type have been scaled at about 20/1200- 20/1700. They also do not see in bright light very well because they do not have pigments in their eyes to help filter light. Their vision in dim light, and their motion acuity are hindered because of their lack of rods.

So yes, animals with pink eyes, which lack melanin, are basically blind.

My albino rats have pink eyes and are basically blind. Animals of their type have been scaled at about 20/1200- 20/1700. They also do not see in bright light very well because they do not have pigments in their eyes to help filter light. Their vision in dim light, and their motion acuity are hindered because of their lack of rods.

So yes, animals with pink eyes, which lack melanin, are basically blind.

I would amend that statement to say that SOME animals with pink eyes are basically blind. Others can see fairly well; it depends largely on the individual. It is likely that an albino will have at least somewhat poorer eyesight than an animal which has normal pigmentation in its eyes.

I know in rats that red/ruby/pink eyed mutations are associated with poor vision, whether it be albino (PEW) or fawn or champagne. They do a head bobble thing when they look at something.

I don't know if this is also true of chinchillas or guinea pigs. I have a few red eyed chinchillas here and they don't seem to be any less visually capable than the dark-eyed chins.

Latest posts

Back