pine wood at Lowes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chechinchillas

hmmmmmmm
So, I went to the wood section at Lowes and a 12" x 8' board of untreated pine is like $25 or more. I wanted to get wood to make houses. Am I in the wrong section? It wood cost me just as much to make them as to get the super pet wood house.

we got our wood from Home Depot. It's KD WW (kiln dried whitewood) we got a 2 x 6 length is 92. and we only spent $3.59..

it'll be a 'fat' house, but thats what we got for shelves and just got it for the house as well..

i believe what we got is correct, as someone on here said that kd pine is now kd whitewood. and we asked the people at home depot and thats what they said as well.

Whitewood and pine are the same thing? MY boyfriend and I went to Lowes awhile ago to buy wood for shelves and most of it was marked as whitewood. I asked him to look up if it was safe for chins and he said he found something that says it isn't.

You must have looked at the "Premuim Pine" boards. They probably didn't have any knots and were straight as an arrow. The regular boards are about 1/3 that price.

As for WhiteWood, it can be either Spruce, Pine, or Fir. Spruce is on the unsafe wood list, so the consensus is whitewood is not safe.

That price looks like the Select pine wood. Select pine generally is straighter and has less nots than the #2 pine I believe it called and the #2 pine is much cheaper.

the type i got i just looked it up on home depot, and it said that it was Fir. so should i go get different wood or will this be okay?

We always get our wood for shelves, houses, and hay boxes at Lowes. It is the cheaper one like everyone said on here.

Cheryl you just found the select stuff. They have cheaper pine boards.

the type i got i just looked it up on home depot, and it said that it was Fir. so should i go get different wood or will this be okay?

from my research, fir is safe if it is kiln dried and does not have bark on it. your wood should be fine.

i always get my boards in the moulding section at home depot. they are nicer, smoother, and cleaner than in the regular lumber section.

Back