pine pellet bedding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deliamaj

love my chins!
Somewhere i saw pine pellets mentioned as opposed to pine shavings, which I started using with my new chin after he decided care fresh was tasty. The shavings are messy and they go through the holes in my bedding scoop. When I went looking for pellets at Petco all they had were the cat litter kind. Is this safe for chins? It says "all natural" but that doesn't always translate to "safe". People here have recommended a kind used for horses but I don't think I have anywhere nearby that sells that kind of thing. Anyone know anything about the pine cat litter?

Danielle

You could try fleece liners.I would make 2 sets and alternate them between weeks.Just wash one and put the other in.They're pretty simple and easy to use.

There are a couple pine pellets listed on the petco site, which one specifically where you looking at? I'm pretty sure the safe one to use is the one that breaks down to sawdust when wet, I know some expand when wet and you don't want that.

You can find the pine pellets at Tractor Supply and they also have smaller bags of aspen pellets at Tractor Supply and most pet stores like Petsmart or Petco. I have used the pine pellets from Tractor Supply for years with no problems.

I've never thought about using the pine/aspen pellets! I am really interested in the eco straw pellets by oxbow. I see on the website that they clump up with moisture and you can scoop them out? That would be really convenient! It's says they are safe for animals to digest and can actually be beneficial? That's a good thing because mine will definitely try to eat them.. lol. I might try those! It says $12.99 for an 8lb bag.. hmmm.

Stackie- How many bags do you need with 8 chins and how long does it last?

I use them in litter pans so the bigger bag usually lasts me about 2 months. I spot clean daily with a cat litter scoop and completely change the litter out as needed when the spot cleaning isn't enough. I like them a lot better than shavings. My chins loved to go on excavations in their litter pans and push all the shavings out in their cage or on the floor. :rolleyes:

Feline pine and the planet Petco one were the ones I saw. I was thinking about fleece liners for Cloud, but just the other day Elena, who is in a different cage and has never even nibbled the care fresh ( that I know of), decided some pieces looked appetizing and chomped on them.

Sigh. Elena and her cage mate Tseng chew holes in fleece. I really wish they didn't because fleece is ideal for the ferret nation, which they will soon be moving into, and any kind of litter is really not ideal since the pans are shallow (practically flat really). I looked all over online for alternatives to the pricey bass pans but found nothing.

I did try aspen pellets but I can't stand the smell.

Maybe it's some sort of phase since Elena is totally ornery right now, but who knows?

I will have to look up if there is a tractor supply anywhere close to me, since I've never seen one. Then I will have to either invest in bass pans or try the fleece and hope. Thanks for replying guys!

Latest posts

Back