Pine Bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinNoob

Hi, so I have looked all over and as a previous owner of small rodents (gerbils, hamsters, rats) it is generally stated that pine is a big NO NO for all small mammal pets. On here however, I am seeing that pine is ok to use as a bedding. I know there was someting said about a certain kind of treated/dried pine shavings to use, but how do you know if it is the right kind? Are certain brands right like alfalfa pet, kaytee, etc?

I have used pine shavings for 14 years. No problems. I use kiln dried stuff from feed stores.

I got a huge bag of kiln dried pine shavings at Tractor Supply Co for $5. I've seen similar bags at pet stores for $12+

Thanks I appreciate the responses! So if I don't see kiln on it, I should be on the safe side and not use it? I have a bag that I got from someone, its alfalfapet brand but doesn't say whether kiln dried.

The one you need to lookout for is cedar shavings, not pine. Cedar is reddish and has aromatic oils in it that can cause respiratory problems.

What are things that would let you know if the bedding is affecting the animal negatively.

RIP Poppy, Itsy, and Bitsy

I believe as long as it's Pine it's probably safe. If it wasn't "kiln dried" I don't know how the manufacturer would have dried it. It should look white or slightly yellow. No pink! I also get mine from a farm store, Orscheln Farm and Home. My brands rotate between TLC, and a more local brand called Ozark Shavings. It's just whatever they're stocking when I need bedding. Usually it is labeled as being for horses.

I've never had bedding cause any problems, but if you didn't clean it regularly I can see it getting overlly wet and causing problems with mold or fungus. Fungus can cause hair loss for chins, usually around the tail and nose, if I remember correctly.

The main thing to remember is that if your changing things like the brand of bedding or food, just watch for changes in your chin. Don't change the environment too much at once or you won't know what's causing the problems if your having them.

Back