Pikachu's Seizures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siylvat

Hello, this isn't really Siylvat but her boyfriend (she's at work). I just wanted to post this to see what people here think of what just happened to our chinchilla Pikachu. Sorry for the rambling, I'm a little stressed and emotional right now as I didn't know what was wrong with him.

Today we decided to clean all our chinchilla's fleece liners, and so we needed somewhere to put them while the fleece went through the washer and dryer. We took out Arc and Pika (since they are brother's, cagemates, and the only of our 4 chinchillas that get along) and decided to try and take out Pichu as well since he doesn't fight as much with the others compared to Dash, our fourth chinchilla.

Anyways, as usual I made a little sleeping bag type of thing with our comforter and put them inside to sleep (I do this a few times a week, almost every other day, with Arc and Pika cause they will just curl up next to the bend in my knee and sleep all morning). They got along fairly well at first and just slept a bit but then they started to groom/hump each other so we tried to separate them as best as possible. We would also let them out of the blanket regularly to keep their ears from getting too red and them overheating.

After the liners were done we set the cages up with them under a blanket. Pika and Pichu got out and ran around for less than 5 minutes on the bed but then we put them in their cages. After about 5 minutes Pika started to turn oddly while lifting his front paws almost like he was choking or something. I immediately picked him up and held him in my hands to see what was wrong and his ears were pressed firmly to his body and he was extremely limp and leaning on one side. This has happened once before to us and it was Pika. About 1 year ago we took him out for playtime one night and he played for about an hour. Afterwards he did the same things and so we tried giving him a bite of a raisin (this was before we knew about the harmful effects of too many raisins so we had them on hand) and he perked right up like nothing was wrong. This time however we didn't have any raisins so we didn't know what to do. His strange behavior went on for about 15-20 minutes while we tried to look online for some kind of solution. We saw that he could have low blood sugar from overheating or overexertion, so we decided to keep him cool and watch him (we were going to try a vet but we don't know of any good chinchilla vets around here as we moved recently).

He has perked up now and seems 100% better but I'm still worried about him and wanted to post something here to see what people think. He's a 6 year old Hetero Beige and besides the one time he did this a year ago I've never seen it happen before. It is extremely scary because of all the things that he does while seizuring. He'll fall over, lift limbs as if he's trying to scratch at something he can't quite reach, and he droops his head. He was taking a tiny amount of oats but wouldn't drink (I thought maybe dehydration at first). He was also gritting his teeth at times and he switched between his left side and right side as far as his eyes twitching and his ear pressed flat.

I don't know if anyone can give any advice but Pika is in fact doing great now (I've had him in my lap the entire time I've typed this) and that makes me feel a whole lot better. Sorry for the rambling again thought, I just wanted to try and make sure I didn't forget anything and I'm still a little shook up. Thanks for any and all help/advice/input.

To me, it does sound like it might have been due to low blood sugar, especially if the raisin helped last time, but I could be entirely wrong. I don't want to give bad/dangerous advice, but I think I remember that a tiny dab of karo syrup can help with things like this. Someone should back that one up before actually trying it though.

Personally, I would also stop putting them under the blankets... I know you take them out regularly to cool off, but it's just too easy for them to overheat. They could also start chewing on the blankets and end up ingesting it. Do you have carriers for them? Many people put their chins in carriers while they clean cages, etc. If not, I'd recommend picking up a couple... they're good to have for many other reasons as well... emergencies, vet trips, etc.

I hope Pikachu continues to do well, and I'm sure others will be along to give more advice.

I agree with CerLynn. Stop putting them in the blankets, it's too easy for them to overheat in there. I, too, have heard about the Karo syrup. You're supposed to rub just a tiny bit on their gums. If it is from low blood sugar, it will help.

Yea, I've decided I'm going to stop that now, just to be safe. I gave him a raisin (my girlfriend's mom got some when she dropped her off at work) and he seems fine. I put him back in his cage now to rest (it's been about an hour since he last showed signs of seizure, so I think it's ok). I'm just glad he's ok now and I'm going to keep checking up on him all night. Thanks for the advice about the Karo syrup though, that's something I read on a webpage that descriped the symptoms of seizuring. Thanks everyone.

Instead of raisins, keep some karo syrup on hand and put a drop or two inside his lips. Sounds like a combination of heat and hypoglycemia.

To prevent hypglycemia, BEFORE he plays give him some karo syrup. Good luck!

Just as a suggestion, I have two fleece liners so that one can be put in my chinchilla's cage while the other is in the wash. This may be easier for you.

Okay, I just got back from work and checked in on him. He is right back to normal now. It was a little scary, but he is fine.

I was just wondering, is this something that is normal in chinchillas at all? Like my boyfriend said, this happened one time before to our same chin. Last time, we were just letting them run around on the floor, and it wasn't even hot in the room. He just started walking in a circle, and collapsed. This was like...oh, six months ago maybe. He is around 5 now and as far as I know it never happened before that.

What did the vet say was causeing them? I hope he is alright

What did the vet say was causeing them? I hope he is alright

We actually didn't take him to the vet. It was over so quickly. By the time we knew what was happening, he was perfectly fine. This morning, he is absolutely normal.

I was just wondering, is this something that is normal in chinchillas at all? Like my boyfriend said, this happened one time before to our same chin. Last time, we were just letting them run around on the floor, and it wasn't even hot in the room. He just started walking in a circle, and collapsed. This was like...oh, six months ago maybe. He is around 5 now and as far as I know it never happened before that.
You are describing a typical exercise induced hypoglycaemia fit - in simple terms, this happens when the body uses energy and the blood sugar level drops suddenly. Fits like this are worse when the temperature is raised because the chin is then overheated (think running around a sauna wearing a full body suit of thick fur) and the blood sugar drops.

In some chins these fits occur regularly and exercise time is reduced to about 5 minutes and then built up again over a period of time or just restricted to a manageable time. Giving Karo syrup as a boost prior to exercise (as HM has suggested) usually works too. However, if the chin continues to have hypoglycaemic fits despite restricted exercise and Karo/raisins for added glucose then it needs further investigation.

Last edited:
Instead of raisins, keep some karo syrup on hand and put a drop or two inside his lips. Sounds like a combination of heat and hypoglycemia.

To prevent hypglycemia, BEFORE he plays give him some karo syrup. Good luck!

Just a question, Nancy:

Should she do this forever and always??? I knew to use the syurp if they were showing signs of it, but if they have one bad incident-should this become a routine???

Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back