Picky picky

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenko

I recently bought a sizeable box of cottonwood chew chunks and Mips has been more or less uninterested in anything over the size of a super teensy twig :(

He's still working on the last of his apple chunks (which is from the same vendor and he looooves his applewood), is there a chance that he might suddenly discover a deep love for cottonwood, or should I give it up as a bust and just order him a new box? I'm a little loathe just to write off 50 bucks worth of wood...

You just got to love chins, they do this type of thing all the time! If your chin does playtime try and leave the chunks there to chew, or drill them and hang them as toys. Stick with the apple wood for the most part, its what most love, LOL. I bought this 45.00 hanging toy with all kinds of fun things on it, its been in all three cages without being touched and I finally threw it under the coffee table and now at playtime they drag it around and chew on it there.

So sorry to hear that. My chins didn't go for cottonwood either unless there were just a couple pieces on a mixed wood hanging toy. I've found the safest route is to stick to fruit woods for chew sticks, like apple, pear, and kiwi. You can't go wrong with those. I honestly think Mips would dig kiwi. I think mine love it more than apple and pear!

Sorry to hear.
My BabyChin (she's not really a baby, that's her name) wouldn't eat rose hips, sea grass knots and pear wood at first. I tried again a month later and now she loves that stuff. You never know, maybe Mips will eventually take to eating cotton wood :) Chin's are soo silly sometimes...

Latest posts

Back