Picky eater! Diet Change?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmonty0726

My girl is 2 months old, she is a picky eater. I tried changing her diet to a walmart food. It was a fiesta blend for chinchillas(before I read up on them.) That was only for a day I had that food in there. I wont be switching her to that. I am wanting to switch her to Oxbow Pellets. Because its better for her Nutritionally. Since she already picks through her food and decide what she wants or doesn't want now. Will I be able to switch her food or will she just completely reject it. I don't want waste money on the food if she just refuses to switch healthy. I want to make sure she is healthy.

You need to switch food gradually. If you slowly mix it until she's completely eating exbow, it should be fine.

she could do that. But if shes hungry she will have no choice but to eat it. As you gradually start increasing the oxbow and decreasing the other food there will not be enough to pick out what she likes and nothing else. She will have to eat it. Over time she should get used to it.

Or you might get lucky like i have a few times and the chin actually turns out to love the new food. First time i switched off that petstore food to select series pro, i mixed the foods and m chin ate all the new food and left the old food untouched :D

I would also pre-pick out the treats. That way you aren't switching from treats and crappy pellets to oxbow, you're just dealing with bad pellets to good. I don't think cold turkey stopping the treats should be an issue. Your chin may not be 100% pleased at being cut off from junk food, but eventually will accept the new diet. I've never had to switch Yuki's brand of food, I adopted him and he ate Mazuri then and still does, but by reading on here I know many chins will temporarily eat more hay if they don't like the new pellet- that should be fine. Eventually they'll adjust.

Back