picky chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedom

I just spent lots of time sewing all matchy matchy :dance3: things like cage liners and hammocks and tube covers and my chins now wont go into the tubes and Pika pulls up his cage liner and sleeps on the floor lol. I have made four sets for two cages lol and they don't like it. :hair:

It might just take them some time to adjust to it and for it to smell normal and like home to them instead of the fabric store or other areas of the house they are not familiar with. Give them time :)
Oh, and some chins never use hammocks....they might eventually, but I know a couple people who converted their hammocks to hay holders or only had success after trying them in multiple spots within the cage.

like hownowbrowncow said: depends from chin to chin. When i bought my chins more then a year ago, the breeder said not to put houses or other real enclosed hiding spots in their cage to avoid making them skittish.
He said that a chin who can flee (weird noise, sudden movement around cage for example) will always do so, and if they lack the possibility to hide somewhere they develop a more curious and relaxed nature cause then they will check out what the possible danger may be before trying to take a run.

The day i hung some hammocks in there (in a double level ferret nation there are 2 hammocks per cage) they immediately explored, and after some munchie encouragement they sleep in it, play in it and use it as a lookout post.

The reason i put up hammocks: they give your chin some extra space! The room used by the hammocks is void anyway since its at the top of the cages.

Give them time. Chins usually love tubes. Hammocks are hit and miss. I have three girls and not one of them uses their hammocks. I do have a hanging house in one cage. I know Artie uses it, although I've never seen her in it. White chin + leopard print hanging house = I know you've been in that house.

Lola wouldn't use her hammock until I put the wooden peg that is bendable into the hammock as a floor. I figure she didn't like the soft bottom that wasn't steady under her feet. Now with the floor she will sit in in and plays on it.

It all depends on how picky they are and Lola is a little diva! LOL.

Back