picking up chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The breeder I bought my chin from showed me how to safely pick him up by the base of his tail and hold him in the crook of my arm to keep him from jumping away. I just brought him home so I haven't picked him up yet, but he did jump into my lap today so I had to hold the base of his tail and scoop my hands under him to get him back into hi cage. Needless to say he wasn't very happy about having to go back in.

I don't think picking him up by the tail will scare him. Just make sure to grab the base of the tail (the part where the tail connects to the booty), because you can damage his tail by grabbing his tail differently. The first time I did it my chinchilla reacted really well, and stayed still until I put him down.

Jonesy was fine with Kristy holding her in mid-air by the base of her tail, but since she's been home, i reserve that for when she won't go back in her cage. so now i get a good kacking at for the tail pickup, but if i pet her side before i scoop her up, she knows what's coming and she's cool with it. sometimes she even sits still for a solid minute! heh.

Latest posts

Back