Photo of chinchilla ovary & uterus - graphic

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
I have been sorting through dissection photos trying to work on a page for gross anatomy of major chin organs for both male and female chins. Of course most will be the same with the difference in reproductive organs.

This is one of the photos and I was just amazed at how perfect it showed the Fallopian tubes and the ovary.

I would like to share this, and I would like to also note that all chins that I have photos of were not killed for the purpose of the dissection. Any chins used were put down due to other pre-existing health problems. This photo in particular came from a girl who had malo issues and severe tooth points.

When looking at the second photo which shows the full uterus with two horns you can see how a female can carry two pregnancies and give birth to a kit who may be a month underdevloped compared to the rest of it's "litter mates".

disection9-ovarycloseup.jpg

disection9-femalereproduction.jpg

I hope you found these photos educational and would like to note that these photos were taken by me and are not to be used or reproduced without written consent from myself per copyright laws. Thank you!

Those pictures show amazing detail!
Thank you so much for posting this. Now I have a better understanding of the dual pregnancy possiblility.

Very great post! Very educational, and I'm up for anything educational. I think that's why im so obsessed with this forum. You people make everything amazing for chin owners!

Great pics!

Just a note to add - almost all animals have two uterine horns (except humans, and a few others). This does not allow animals to have dual pregnancies.
The thing that makes chinchillas unique (also elephants, and a few others) and able to carry two separate pregnancies is the fact that they have two cervixes.

Very educational, thank you for sharing. I hope we'll be able to see and learn more as your time allows.

I have added to these and some others on my site under medical, I figured it would be the best place for it. I hope to continue to sort through. I have many photos I've taken, it's a matter of sorting through them and finding the ones that are useful, lol. I know I have a male dissection as well to sort through, I just need to find it in my photo folders. Each time I take photos I usually end up with 20 I don't use for each on that I do!

Back