Phoebe Off Her Food... Again

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertaGirl

Expert Wheel Scrubber
Hi everyone! My little Phoebe has once again decided that she doesn't want to eat on her own. She went off her food about a week ago and I've been syringe feeding her ever since. Usually when this happens I only need to syringe feed her once or twice and then she starts eating again. This time, however, she shows no interest in eating on her own. She won't even eat voluntarily from the syringe. I'm going to pick up some Recovery food and some probiotic powder from the vet clinic on my way home from work tomorrow morning, but what else can I do to get her eating again? I'm a bit worried as she is getting on in years - she has just turned 3. Otherwise she seems fine - she runs on her wheel every night, and looks completely fine. She even still gives me a nose kiss through the bars of her cage every night before I go to bed. Her poop is a little runny but that's to be expected since I'm having to slightly dilute her food with water to get it to go through the syringe.

My Gladys has been doing the exact same thing since September. Only hers started with being a slight bit cool and not eating. She has had a vet visit and found to be perfectly healthy. Glads is just over 3 as well.

A couple of weeks ago, I gave her a bit of sugar water in the evening and that night she ate everything. The following night, no sugar water and she didn't eat much so I gave her more sugar water and I almost hate to say it, but since then she has been eating a decent amount each evening on her own. She isn't eating as much as she used to, but is eating enough that I'm not worried. Perhaps this is her new normal.

Try a bit of sugar water and see if it helps. Also, what about temperature? I've also given Gladys a heating pad.

Oh Phoebe... I'm sorry. Do you suppose there's a tooth issue setting this off?

Good luck with Nancy's sugar water idea. Cute to think that maybe hedgie has a little hummingbird inclination.

My 3yo is now preferring 78F minimum to be happy and active... she'll be precisely 3.75 years old in two days. So, like with Gladys, I think upping the heat may be a good way to go for Phoebe.

Note

Dear Sandy, I hope little Phoebe is responding better to her food. Bridgette

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas! We'll try cranking the heat up and the sugar water. Hopefully she'll get going on her own again! I hope it's not a tooth issue... I don't see any swellings or redness, and believe me - I get a VERY good look at the inside of her mouth while I'm syringing her. If the heat and sugar water don't help though, I will take her in for an exam. I don't really want to since they'll have to gas her to get a look inside her mouth, but if it's necessary then I'll do it. Oh Phoebe! Just eat already!!!

Last edited:
Nancy, Have you ever had Glady's blood levels checked? Is she hypoglycemic?

We never had her blood checked. She is still eating okay and has not had any more sugar water. Perhaps it was a temperature thing.

Back