petting chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina000

So I've had my two chins for about a month and a half now. I've read online that some chins love scritches and other are too wild and itchy and never like them at all. I was just wondering how long it took everyone els's chins to enjoy being scratched under the chin and behind the ear. Did they enjoy being scratched as babies or did they have to grow into it? If they had to grow into it at what age was it they finally enjoyed it? My ebony boy loves to sit on my hand and sleep as soon as I place my hand in the cage. If its during the day he will climb onto my hand and snuggle in it and actually fall asleep in my hand, and during the night time he will just sit on it and bring food with him or a chew stick and sit there for like 15 minutes I kid you not, but if I go to pet him or scratch him anywhere, under the chin. behind his ear, his cheek, anywhere he acts like its really itchy and lurches back and grooms himself as if to rid my touch LOL. I try not touch him anymore because it disturbs him and I don't want to break his trust, but I was curious to know if this is normal for younger chins or if he most likely is just not a chin that will like to be scratched. My standard boy does not seem to enjoy it either but he also does not hate it he just sits there and does not care. Maybe I am just bad at it lol. If they never want to be pet I will be okay though because they are very special little boys and very affectionate otherwise.

my first chin took a LONG time because he was pretty neurotic when i took him him. Given his living arrangements, i dont blame him. But now he is super friendly and loves having his stomach scratched.

That being said, not only do some chins like being scratched/petted and some dont, but the ones that do might like it only in certain places, or at certain times.

My chins hate being touched when they are sleepy or just starting to wake up. Chico loves his stomach and head scratched but he will freak out if i touch the lower half of his body. Where as his son who only occasionally will like being scratched, hate having anywhere on his head touched, but will tolerate his back half being petted.

So theres a lot to pay attention to in how your chin reacts.

So I've had my two chins for about a month and a half now. I've read online that some chins love scritches and other are too wild and itchy and never like them at all. I was just wondering how long it took everyone els's chins to enjoy being scratched under the chin and behind the ear. Did they enjoy being scratched as babies or did they have to grow into it? If they had to grow into it at what age was it they finally enjoyed it? My ebony boy loves to sit on my hand and sleep as soon as I place my hand in the cage. If its during the day he will climb onto my hand and snuggle in it and actually fall asleep in my hand, and during the night time he will just sit on it and bring food with him or a chew stick and sit there for like 15 minutes I kid you not, but if I go to pet him or scratch him anywhere, under the chin. behind his ear, his cheek, anywhere he acts like its really itchy and lurches back and grooms himself as if to rid my touch LOL. I try not touch him anymore because it disturbs him and I don't want to break his trust, but I was curious to know if this is normal for younger chins or if he most likely is just not a chin that will like to be scratched. My standard boy does not seem to enjoy it either but he also does not hate it he just sits there and does not care. Maybe I am just bad at it lol. If they never want to be pet I will be okay though because they are very special little boys and very affectionate otherwise.

I got my two chins about 2 months ago at ages 1 1/2 and 4.
I don't know what their previous home/s were like (one had 2 previous owners, and one had been gotten as a baby by the girl I got both from), but neither of them were big fans of being touched.
It's taken about the 2 months for them to get comfortable hopping around all over me and standing on my hands. Belle, the 4 year old who didn't like being touched at all (and would pull away and act itchy, as you said) has just started letting me scratch her under the chin the past couple nights. It seemed as soon as she let me actually scratch she realized it felt good! :)

Aurora, the 1 1/2 year old, is a bit strange :) She likes to hop all over me and run around but she doesn't like being touched out of the cage during playtime. However, she will sometimes let me scratch behind her ears or under the chin when she's in the cage.

This is just my experience, hope it helps!

Back