Petting chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thetuckerfarm

My girls are about 5 months. Both will step up in my hand to get a treat and greet me when I open their cage door. But, they don't want me to try to scratch around their ears/head. How do I get them to realize they might enjoy the scratching?

It's recommended that chins under 6 months old not be given any treats.

As far as petting goes... Are you reaching over their heads? Try using a finger to scratch their chin. Most absolutely love that and you won't be reaching over them to do it.

what about starting out in the right direction by just letting them sniff your fingers/hands? or place your hand flat on the floor of the cage, let them come up to it.

some chins just don't like being touched in certain places.

I have a father who loves getting his stomach and head scratched but will freak out if you try to touch any where on his back/bottom half of his body.
Mean while his son doesn't mind his back area being touched but gets rly annoyed if you touch his face area.

Most chins do not like being petted. As mentioned earlier coming over their head makes the nervous. Out of 50 chins that I have here, only 3 like being petted. The suggestion of scratching under the chin is a good one. the chinchilla can see what you are doing. Keep in mind that some chins never do learn to like being scratched.

One of mine only likes behind her right ear and her back to be pet. She won't let me touch her left ear :/

Latest posts

Back