Petsmart

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Walker

Cincillà italiano!
So I was in the area and decided to stop by and see if there was anything interesting as far as chin stuff goes, and of course they have chins for sale.

The issue that kind of made me pissed was that there were 4 chinchillas in 1 cage. The cage/tank was probably a little smaller than a FN 141, and there was only 1 plastic Igloo for a house I assume could fit 2 chins in there.

1 Hammock in there, and 1 water bottle.

They just don't care huh, personally to me seeing a lone chinnie in there sucks, but to see 4 in that tank is crazy to me.

So am i over reacting or do I have a right to be kind of pissed off and sad for them. I left my blackberry home like a moron or I'd upload the pics I took of them.:banghead:

It's a pet store. They aren't going to provide a palace for any of the animals to live in. They have X amount of space to put animals in and that's all they can use. They aren't meant to be there long-term, so they aren't going to have hammocks and branches and shelves and wheels, etc., etc. The fact that they had an igloo and a hammock in there at least shows they are trying to provide some sort of chinchilla friendly environment. <shrugs>

My local Petsmart has 4 chins right now too. Two chins per tank with an igloo, a plastic wheel, a dish of pellets and a water bottle each. And an empty tank between them. I guess my local store has some room right now. Normally I only see one or two chins. They have a fresh batch of ginea pigs too. Here come the holidays!

That set up sounds better than most of the cages in the CL ads, and those chins are most likely clean.

my local petstore sells chins. They only have one in an incredibly small plastic enclosure. It has a plastic igloo, and a plastic wheel, and basically no room at all for this poor chin to move around. It's a horrible environment for these chins in waiting. And then imagine that a novice is looking to purchase this cute animal, and they go to a store employee for advice on their care...

Back