Petsmart products??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you enjoy fleece?

• Total voters

cherie18

Hi guys, my name is Ranessa I'm new to being a chin owner-I actually am picking up my new chinchilla, Cherie(pronounced Churry) on Sunday if all goes well-ANyways I've been doing as much research possible so I don't screw it up, but I went to petsmart the other day just to see what they had & I saw cute little tikki looking houses names snak shaks for small animals. I wanted to know if these houses are safe or not?

I asked one person on youtube, but I want a second opinion because i'm not sure they are correct.
So if ya'l know anything about it please let me know!!

PS: if I can't shop at Petsmart what can I do? Because it is the only store that really sells anything for chinchillas here...:hair:

The snack shaks are not safe for chins. They are meant to be eaten and they have quite a bit of sugar in them, which is not good for chins.

Most people buy their chinchilla items online. We have many vendors here who make awesome and safe things for chins.

Snack shacks, or those edible huts, are not rly safe for them. My boy had one for a long while before i found that out. It did give him digestive problems. So i would advise against it.

A lot of supply stuff you can get online. Probably at a higher quanity and/or cheaper price. Theirs a few vendors on this site.

Honestly the only thing i get at petsmart for my chins is the Aspen litter and Timothy hay. Petsmart (and most pet stores) are interested in one thing. Money: making a sale. They usaly no nothing about the pets or jsut rambel on to make it sound like they do. They also sell tons of products that are not safe for chins. (Edible huts, death balls, snacks, foods)

Heck my local petsmart has a massive plasic ledge, plastic house, ferret hammok, plastic wheel... at that point its hard to defend their actions.

Your best defence is to learn all you can. Your chins will thank you for it'

IF you have to get things at petsmart until you find a good online source as Stacie mentioned, then I suggest these items...
Unpeeled willow tunnels, willow balls but don't get the one that has a large nut inside it. Any of the Oxbow brand hays and pellets. Plain (natural) kd pine hidey house. Don't get any toys with plastic beads, nuts, fruits or veggies, etc. if any item has an ingredients list on them, check it, if it lists things that are not safe for chins then don't get them :)).

Ok thank yal, I know about the plastic and the cage she is giving me I think has some plastic but I plan to either get rid of it or cover it with something so she can't get to it, I also wanted to know about those little hanging loofah treats...I read somewhere that they are safe for chins but they look like they are made for rabbits to? So sugar and salt no is there another ingredient I should beware of?

Loofah is okay, as are lava bites, ledges, etc. I think Super Pet even sells some apple wood sticks, but you will be paying a lot more than you would through a vender here.

http://www.nwichinchillas.com/safepetstoreproducts.htm

theres a list of safe pet store products.
but it'd be cheaper for you to get supplies through vendors on here.
i do however get the lava bites and ledges from petco.

Thank you bunches this helps & I probably will use some of the vendors on here; but I figure by the time I pay shipping I could've gone to the store & gotten it!
So thanks!!:thumbsup:

New Cage; Hey guys the cage is coming with my chinchilla, what should I do about little cherie while i'm trying to set it up? it's probably not a good idea to let her sit in the little pet carrier especially since she's already gonna have been in it for awhile because we are traveling home with her!?:hmm:

she'll be fine in the carrier for the time it will take to set up the cage, and she will be safe in there. just ensure she has a water bottle hanging on the carrier and a handful of hay to munch on.

Back