Petco Ledge

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is fine. Personally, I think you can do google searches for chinchilla ledges and find chinchilla owners who can make a better product than Petco. I try my best to not purchase from them.

I completely agree with seachin. I got some nice round barky perches from shooper (she has an ad in the classified section, or is on Facebook as Fleece for Furries) and our chinchillas love them.

I had one for my chin, it was an impulse buy. He never really chewed on it though, but he did like to leap on it and pee off the edge. It is made of Douglass Fir, which some say is safe and others say isn't? I took it out to be safe.

I agree with the above posters about looking online, or here, for better ledges. You will be helping support small business and/or rescues :)

The ledge may be ok. I've seen fir on safe and unsafe wood lists so I just stay away from it. Personally, I don't buy wood (or much else) from petstores. While the wood may be chin-safe, I don't know if the tree was ever sprayed with chemicals, and I don't trust the pet store companies to know that's bad with all the crap they have on the market that isnt safe. Every time I look through pet stores website, I end up in the classified pages or a vendor site or trying to find a way to do something cool in a better, safer way. I will admit I'm biased though- I'm one of the vendors on here and I've got plenty of untreated/unsprayed wood I can do stuff with. :)
I don't know which vendor has what, but I have poplar ledges and perches. http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44700&page=3
Shooper, Rhonda, and Whimsey also have good stuff too.

Both of my cages have one of these in them. I got them back when I first got my chins. My boys have chewed their's and play with it, but my girl doesn't do anything but sleep on hers. I sanded and baked mine before I gave them it (remove the metal first if you want to bake them)

Back