Perches- what size do chins like/is safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

I'm cutting down a few Poplar trees to make perches for my chin and others. I'm new at perches, but they're turning out very well. I was wondering what typical sizes were. When I was outside cutting it up I ended up cutting 8-10 inches long and 2 1/2in diameter. Under 2 inches I figured would become coins. Then as I was trying to figure out pricing I saw some people selling them a lot skinnier (and shorter, but i thought i was doing 7 inches and am really bad at eyeballing it i guess). I dont want to do ones too skinny so the chins dont have enough room, or God-forbid land funky and hurt themselves, but If skinnier sticks are ok I could do a lot more and have more variety for others and myself. (I also could do grapevine if skinny ones are ok. Although Yuki would go through those FAST)

What diameter perches do your chins like?
What do you think is too skinny, and could cause bad landings?
What length do you think is typical? what would you like?

I'm also toying with the idea of making a perch that goes all the way across Yuki's ferret Nation and fixes onto each side-and I definitely would do it with the 2 1/2 inch or thicker diameter. Any thoughts on that either way? Would your chins like something like that? would you be too worried about a slip with a perch that big? I'm just always trying to think of new things for Yuki to enjoy, but i worry.

Thanks for any input! :)

Thanks for any input

That's the size i was shooting for but going through a few shops people had them as skinny as 1 or 1 1/2 inch diameters? I'd worry about my chin's landing space judgement jumping onto something that skinny... Just wondering if anyone had any experiences with those. It seemed off to me, but thought I'd ask. Maybe the stores have a typo? Who knows. :shrug:

Latest posts

Back