Peppermint for chins???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liewwan

I have a LOT of peppermints growing in my back yard, my garden is a all organic and no pesticides is used. Now I know I can't offer this to them fresh, but what about drying them and in smaller pieces? Is that safe for them? I did some search and saw an online website sells them and says this "Peppermint is used to treat general digestive problems, colic and to reduce the production of gas in the intestine."
If it's safe, what's the best way to dry them? Never dried any herbs before, not to mention it's already lowering to 70s for temp in MN.

Shoot Tanya a PM and ask her. She's pretty much the guru on all things herbal for chins.

Just sent a pm to tanya from pa, would that be the right person?

Yes, I received the PM :))

Peppermint is safe for chins. It has been assessed for problems by Veterinary Medicines Evaluation Unit and no special precautions were reported. It also appears on the FDA's GRAS list (generally recognized as safe).

The thing to keep in mind is that peppermint can decrease milk production. I also think that many chins do not like it much.

I seem to remember someone on here saying that peppermint (and mint leaves in general) have a tendency to increase a chin's appetite. I'm not sure how accurate that was, though.

I seem to remember someone on here saying that peppermint (and mint leaves in general) have a tendency to increase a chin's appetite. I'm not sure how accurate that was, though.

:hmm: I think I might have to give more to Tinker, the girl eats a lot as it is, but she is still only 433 and will be turning 2 in 2 months.

There's no reason they can't have it fresh in small amounts.

For drying you can just spread it out on your kitchen counter and let it dry that way or tie the stem ends it and hang upside down. Another way is in your oven but it dries really fast that way and you have to watch it closely. If you try this method only dry a small amount and then see how long it takes. Remember larger amounts take longer to dry.

I give peppermint to my chins along with the peppermint horse treats as well. Most of them chomp it right down while others won't even touch it. Animals tend to eat what they need.

Ronda

Thanks. How do you dry it properly?

You can gather herbs in the morning when the dew has evaporated. I dry herbs in a warm, airy, shady location. You can you use paper and a window screen, and put them on bricks so the air can circulate underneath too. You may need to turn the herbs over to make sure they dry evenly.

Some use an electric dehydrator with an adjustable thermostat, so you can control the temperature and keep it at about 90°F. I would not dry herbs in the oven as oven drying is likely to destroy enzymes and will remove more essential oils (harder to keep constant low temperature).

You said in the PM that you're also planning to use peppermint in a powdered form. I think the advantage of growing your own herbs is that you can use them in a whole form :)). It's always best to use whole herbs: more fun for chins + chins get the maximum benefit of the synergetic effects of herbs' biochemicals; whole herbs do not lose nutrients as fast as powdered herbs.

You can also grow dandelion (leaves, flowers, and roots can be used), nettle, red clover. I'd get organic seeds.

@Tanya: what do you think about buying flavored stuff for chins? i keep seeing things like these loofahs:http://www.foloofah.com/shop.html i'm only buying from sites that are approved by Jonesy's breeder or linked to on here, but i'm still iffy about a lot. she's only 3 months--would those flavored loofahs count as treats?

Danilinn, the venders usually use sugarfree Koolaid on the loofahs, if you look at the options it'll ask you which flavor hehehe.
ChinnyMom: shhhhhhh don't tell my chins that, I tell them it's treats hehehe.

Back