Penelope has this gunk on her fur...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina Noraas

Christina
Since a week ago when she had the kits she got some gunk of some sort on her fur on her left side, it's pretty crusty and yuck. I was told she shouldn't get a bath until 10 days after she had the kits. But it seems as if she's been trying to get it out herself and it's making her fur rather thin in that area. :[ I don't have any chinchilla combs just a dog brush, but I figured I shouldn't try to use it until I consulted with all of you. :]

Help?

She can have a bath. There are many on here who will dust everyone on the same day - babies or not. If the dust doesnt help you can use baby wipes to try and get it out. If it's matted just gently pull on the mats until they slip.

Let me guess...the male is still in with your newly littered female, right?
If that is the case, you've probably got a mating plug stuck in her fur.

No they are seperated and have been since this last fall. They're on total opposite sides of the room, and when Rex is out to play is brought down stairs to the bathroom, they have had no contact what so ever. The closest they've been since I've seperated them is when I divided my tallest cage in half, but even then were was 6 inches of wood between them and a layer of wire.

Oh, duh I never thought of using baby wipes even though I've read about people using them on here. I'll give her a bath tonight and use the wipes and see if it looks better tomorrow, if not i'll try to pull what ever is left.

Last edited:
Alrighty, thank you very much.

Here's some shots of her fur if it helps any, the pictures didn't really help point it out but I thought I'd try:

DSCF4333.jpg

DSCF4331.jpg

DSCF4332.jpg

I can't see from the picture but if it's just the tips a cat or dog brush that is clean may work. It did for Jackie after a few dust baths didn't clean him up. I didn't however try to go deep at all.

Back