Pellets from local breeders?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue_soda025

I'm considering using pellets from one of the local breeders around here. However, I'm concerned about a few things. I've noticed that they all have quite a high percentage of protein (all the ones I've seen were min. 18%), and not a very high percentage of fibre (max 14%). Are there reasons for this? From what I've read, protein should be a bit lower and fibre should be at least 18%? What I'm wondering is, are those levels fine, or should I consider other feeds? I would like to think it's perfectly fine, since some of these breeders have used the same feed for years, but I'm just unsure of this one detail since it seems contradictory to what I've read.

Can you list the name of the pellets. There are alot of good chinchilla feeds out there, and everyone uses different ones for different reasons, some chins do good on one food, and some might get diareah, but here are some names of some good foods, I know I can't remember all the names, so I'm sure someone will come on and tell you what I have left out. But in case you are talking about one of these feeds then you'll know it's okay.

Mazuri
Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe
PANR
Tradition
Nutrina Naturewise

Now from what I have heard, I don't know personally about all the foods, but Mazuri has the highest protein levels, but alot of people use it and have no problems at all, and some people have had problems on it. But again, I'm not that great with just knowing the percentages you gave, and I might of left some names of the good chinchilla foods out. But thought maybe I could at least alittle.

Jean

There aren't really brands or recognizable names for these feeds. I think they are milled every few months in local areas. I will paste the info for the ones that actually include the analysis:

Co-Op Chinchilla Pellets

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein....not less than..18%
Crude fat..........not less than....4.94%
Crude fiber.......not more than..14%
calcium (actual)..............1.2%
Vit A......19000 IU/KG
Vit D.......4950 IU/KG
Vit E........110 IU/KG
Vit C........300 Mg/KG

Shurecrop Chinchilla Pellets

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 18%
Lysine (min) 0.90%
Crude Fat (min) 3.0%
Crude Fibre (max) 14.0%
Calcium (min) 1.1%
Calcium(max) 1.3%
Phosphorus (min) 0.74%
Salt(min) 0.76%
Salt(max) 0.78%
Selenium(min) 0.3ppm
Zinc(min) 135 ppm
Vit. A (min) 6,804 I.U./lb
Vit. E (min) 45 I.U./lb

AlderPark Chinchilla Pellets

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min) 18%; Lysine (min) 0.90%,Crude Fat (min) 3.0%; Crude Fibre (max) 14.0%; Calcium (min) 1.1%; Calcium(max) 1.3%,Phosphorus (min) 0.74%; Salt(min) 0.76%, Salt(max) 0.78%, Selenium(min) 0.3ppm, Zinc(min) 135 ppm; Vitamin A (min) 6,804 I.U./lb; Vitamin E (min) 45 I.U./lb;

I was not aware that Mazuri had such a high protein content. I guess it is true that the percentages of nutritional content don't really determine whether the food is good or not and it really just depends on what works for that individual chinchilla. : ) The reason I asked was because I've seen a lot of resources that say low protein and higher fibre pellets are best, etc. I'm sure these feeds are fine, but I've always been wondering about this matter.

Last edited:
Back