Pellets from feed store..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euphoric

So I bought a 5lb bag of alfalfa pellets from a feed store. I was told it was just pure alfalfa pellets. It is really nice, because it only costs 0.35 cents a pound.

Well, I was feeding Mazuri and I started the process of switching over slowly. I am now at 50/50 (I did 10% more each week) and the chins eat their food perfectly.

But then when reading over the forums I got worried. Are these pellets as good as Mazuri or Oxbow?

I mean, they are fresh and just pure alfalfa. But I want to make sure that brand pellet foods and these pellets are equal.

(And yes and I also buy timothy hay from the feed store, I honestly dont know the cut, I didn't ask because I didn't think about it, but the chins love it and eat probably double than when I was feeding Oxbow hay)

Just want to make sure about my care :)

Chinchilla pellets are mostly alfalfa hay, but with vitamins & nutrients added in. I think straight alffy pellets with lots of loose timothy hay would be ok in a pinch, but I'm not so sure about it as a long term solution.
~Barb~

Personally I wouldn't use just straight alfalfa pellets. Like was stated, feed pellets have other vitamins and minerals in them and I would be worried about the long term affect of not having those vitamins and minerals in their diet.

Have you looked into PANR (Purina Advanced Nutrition SHOW formula rabbit) feed? I don't know where you are located, but here it is about $20 for 50lbs, making it around the same price. It is tried and true and a good feed. I would not suggest the pure alfalfa since you don't know anything about the brand, where it came from, milled on date, etc. Be careful when switching though, as a few food changes in a short amount of time can be very traumatic for them.

Back