Peepers and his bladder stone saga

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRose

Hi all,

Been awhile since I've been on. Keeping busy working and spending time with the crew here (my 5 chins and rabbit). Just thought I would post these pictures from my chinchilla Peepers because I thought it was interesting. Not that him getting a bladder stone was fun but it was my first time going through this. Peepers I got from a classmate back in 2008 who was moving to NY but wasn't taking him along. His approximate age now is 10 yrs. A bit ago I noticed a drop of blood on his shelf. Took him into the vet, checked him out etc but nothing was found during the physical and he hadn't done it again so we decided to keep an eye on him. After that found a drop of blood here and there. Took him back to the vet and we had him x-rayed since it probably could have been an infection or a bladder stone. After the x-ray we saw it was most definitely a bladder stone. Peepers went into surgery last Tuesday and did great, was eating after and everything. But VERY early in the morning when checking on him again I found he had been bothering the surgery site and there was some blood and some fleshy thing poking out. Took him back to the vet today (it was closed wed) and it was determined all the stitches were still in place but he had managed to get between the stitches and that was a bit of the fat layer he pulled through. :yuck: That was trimmed off, some vet glue put on, and I am watching him like a hawk but so far he seems to be done bothering it. My free chin is now somewhere valued (by my wallet, haha) and like $800 or so with the vet visits, x-rays and surgery. But I love him and he's worth it. Now I am just looking into possible changes in diet. Any ideas/comments on that? I'm trying to see whats best. They are all currently on Mazuri, I've had no problem with them eating it or bathroom habits. Other than that they get timothy hay, occasional non-honey cheerio, rose hips, chew sticks/toys.

Attachments

• Peepers shelf before surgery.jpg
    Peepers shelf before surgery.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Peepers X Ray Righ Lateral (1).jpg
    Peepers X Ray Righ Lateral (1).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Peepers X Ray Right Lateral - Legs extended (1).jpg
    Peepers X Ray Right Lateral - Legs extended (1).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Peepers X-Ray VD Abdomen.jpg
    Peepers X-Ray VD Abdomen.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Peepers bladder stone in the tube.jpg
    Peepers bladder stone in the tube.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 24
Few more pictures of stuff

Attachments

• Peepers bladder stones close up.jpg
    Peepers bladder stones close up.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Peepers after bothering sutures.jpg
    Peepers after bothering sutures.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Peepers post surgery.jpg
    Peepers post surgery.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 19
Have the stone analyzed for composition, it will help to see if its actually calcium. Since stones are caused by lots of reasons some unknown it could come back even with a change in diet.

Pinto had a bladder stone last year. A little smaller than the largest one you posted. Sent it out, came back 100% calcium carbonate. He is on Oxbow adult cavy food. So far so good! He did have to wear an ecollar the first few days to keep him away from his incision but after that he was fine.
Good luck to you and Peepers!

Back