peeing on shelves

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knitdragon

So, I've had my male chin for three months and out of nowhere he started peeing on the shelves, not all the time just occasionally. Then I got him a bigger, sturdier cage and he is still peeing on the shelves just more frequently now. He is eating, drinking, pooping normally and is a sweetie in general. So I guess my question is is this normal behavior? Thank you :hmm:

Beware of you chin eating the Carefresh bedding. I had the same when I got my first chin but learned quickly the paper can be dangerous for chins if they digest it. You may want to change to pine.

If he pees in certain spots you may want to put floor tile over the shelf so it is easier to clean up.

If he's particular and pees in specific spots you may be able to litter box train him.

Good Luck

He's not particular, he pees all over :) and thank you for the advice, I'll try the fleece liners and think about changing bedding.

When I used fleece liners it actually encouraged my chins to pee all over their cage more. I would try a wood chip bedding (aspen or pine) and see if that encourages him. However, he may just be a messy guy. I have one chin who pees where ever he is standing at the moment. I have to wash his fleece weekly and eventually covered all his wooden shelves in tiles...otherwise I was replacing them every few months.

In the mean time, hydrogen peroxide on wooden shelves works great at removing the stains. I think wipe with a vinegar/water solution to get rid of the smell. I also wash his fleece with vinegar.

Quick update: I covered his shelves in fleece and the peeing has decreased significantly. :) Apparently he was just trying to tell me he wants something soft to run on. LOL

Latest posts

Back