Peeing in hay and food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDuper ChinnieBaby

I have an almost 3 month old male and he uses his litter pan all the time but also does his business in his hay all the time as well I swear he goes in the hay as much as he does in the litter pan but he will not pee anywhere else but those two places.. and sometimes randomly in his food dish.. Why is he doing this.. is there something wrong with his hay or other reasons... please help he will go pee with in an hour or two after I put new hay in so im constantly changing his hay all day I go through a bag of hay 3x faster than I should be .. please help me any suggestion on why and how i can get him to stop would be greatly appreciated

Perhaps you can switch to one of those hay feeders that hangs on the outside of the cage? And a J-feeder that is up on the side of the cage. I doubt something is wrong with the hay or feed, probably just a habit. Maybe the hay resembles what is in the litter pan? Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.

Unfortunately most chins will pee on the hay if it's on the floor. If you don't already you need a hay holder that hangs off the ground (Zoey and Lilo's Toy Box website has a coconut one and a fleece one for example). The outside the cage hay holder works, but not if you have kids or other pets that think the hay is fun to play with, lol. Also giving small amounts of hay a couple times a day rather then a whole day's worth should help with the waste some. As for the food, you can try giving the chin smaller meals too, just give him some food through the day (give some food, then once that's gone give a bit more), or once in the morning and once at night. Some people have also gone with hooded bird feeders so the chin can't sit on it and therefore can't pee in it easily.

obligatory

Amana.jpg

Unfortunately most chins will pee on the hay if it's on the floor. If you don't already you need a hay holder that hangs off the ground (Zoey and Lilo's Toy Box website has a coconut one and a fleece one for example). The outside the cage hay holder works, but not if you have kids or other pets that think the hay is fun to play with, lol. Also giving small amounts of hay a couple times a day rather then a whole day's worth should help with the waste some. As for the food, you can try giving the chin smaller meals too, just give him some food through the day (give some food, then once that's gone give a bit more), or once in the morning and once at night. Some people have also gone with hooded bird feeders so the chin can't sit on it and therefore can't pee in it easily.

So what if i use porcelain bowl.. I have this fondue bowl that has 3 large holes in it that i can shove hay in and he can get it out but he cant pee in it would that be ok for now

The outside the cage hay holder works, but not if you have kids or other pets that think the hay is fun to play with, lol.

Ha ha--my dog. I could totally see her stealing the chins' hay!

Because I couldn't get the outside hay feeders locally, I decided to make my own hay feeders (a la LY Chins)--the ones that have ledges on them and can be hung on the side of the cage. I'm hoping they work out ok because they sure are cute.

obligatory

Amana.jpg

Love it! So funny.

So what if i use porcelain bowl.. I have this fondue bowl that has 3 large holes in it that i can shove hay in and he can get it out but he cant pee in it would that be ok for now

If I'm understanding you correctly, it seems like this would be a really cool fix for the problem as long as porcelain is ok? Cool idea. :)

That would probably work so long as he can't get his head stuck in the holes and you don't put it anywhere that it can fall and break.

Back