Peeing in hammock

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbodgrl

Zoo Keeper
I think Maci is attempting to make me crazy. For a while she was peeing in her food dish. After moving the location that has stopped.

She is/was litter trained. Her cage is Fleece liners with a pyrex litter pan with Aspen shavings. That is how her set up has been since I got her in May.

A few weeks back I noticed that the room her cage is in seemed stinky. I found the source her hammock on the top level. She also has a large hammock separating the center of her FN...but she is not peeing in that one.

I have been changing it ever day. I noticed over the last couple days she hasn't even used her litter pan. She is ONLY peeing in the hammock.

Short of removing the hammock any ideas how to change this behavior?

i wonder if removing the hammock will just give her the idea to pee somewhere else? maybe just wash the hammock well (run some vinegar through the wash with it to rid it of pee smell) and move it somewhere else in the cage. worth a shot, and worked for the food bowl pee issue, eh?

Yeah that was kind of my worry if I take it out she would just go elsewhere! I can say I'd rather have her go in the hammock than her food or all over the shelves :hair:

I can try and move it...and give that a try. I have been wanting to make her a fleece house or something along those lines, but I am afraid she will just pee in it :banghead:

I have a chin that pees in her 2 hammocks (one is a normal sized hammock and the other is a HUGE hammock). I just wash them a lot and have plenty of extras. I prefer it there than on the shelves. I also have one that pees in her fleece tube from time to time....and one that pees on TOP of her tube.

I have a few chins that love hammocks, but pee in them. Then other chins never pee in their hammocks.

Since those that pee do love the hammocks I hate to take it away from them, so I just make sure I always have clean ones available and just change them all the time. Getting rid of the urine smell in the hammock is important to curb them from peeing in it again so quickly.

Latest posts

Back